1974 Super Beetle Maintenance

post questions about your car

1974 Super Beetle Maintenance

Postby jhenry » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:45 pm

I am considering buying a 1974 Super Beetle. It is listed as a 4 cylinder, 2-wheel drive, 4-speed manual. I am wanting to use it as a daily car. Is there anything that I should look out for? Do these models break down often? Would I be able to drive it if it snows or ices?
Random avatar
jhenry

Re: 1974 Super Beetle Maintenance

Postby gimpy60 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm

If you aren't a mechanic or have golden lined pockets, forget it.

Not tryin to talk you outta it, but these cars need more attention than a wife.

Get all the books on vw that you can, it will help in your endeavour.

Get one of us in the area to look at the car for evaluation, can help to not get burned tooooo baaaaaad.

Read everything you can on Samba.com. , see above.

JP CEO Stella Skunkwerks , Stella Amurica. buck ofama
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vwlimoguy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Odds are pretty good that it will need the front end bushings replaced. If it gets a shimmy between 35-50 mph it will need that. Like JP said, they need lots of attention before you can expect it to be a reliable daily driver. A fun and frustrating experience boo doubt.
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Postby yellow73 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 pm

The listing you quoted is basic for most bugs. It really does not tell you anything.
Need to look at the rust in the pan, check for end play in the engine, see how many miles the engine has on it. Be sure not to plan on it being your primary mode of transportation until you have had it a while and know it better.
Oh yea your last questin. Nothing better in snow and Ice engine is over the drive wheels where they should be.
Good hunting. Let us know.
yellow73

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums