72 super beetle electrical help

post questions about your car

72 super beetle electrical help

Postby bloodbath » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I just recently bought a 72 super beetle as a project and have been having some electrical issues. When I first got it the headlights worked only on high beam, but on low beams only the driver side worked. The turn signal switch was broken and duct taped together so I figured replacing it might fix the problem. Now the headlights don't work at all and the gas gauge no longer works either. I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I also replaced the flasher relay and that didn't help either. I was going to change the bulbs just to be sure, but the screws are stripped out so I'll have to figure out how to get them out now too. By the way, brake lights, blinkers, and the light behind the speedometer all work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Random avatar
bloodbath

Re: 72 super beetle electrical help

Postby bloodbath » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Turns out I changed the wrong relay. I thought the flasher relay and headlight relay were the same. Anyway, lights are working now. Still can't figure out what's up with the gas gauge. All the connections on the back of the indicator are on tight, so I'm assuming it could be the sender unit.
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby vdubjim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

There is a vibrator on the back of the fuel gauge that usually is loose or dead. think they are like 15.00.

Of course make sure your sender is good too.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby 9 Fingers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 pm

bloodbath,
This isn't specificaly related to this issue -- but I went on the now defunct VW Trends magazine website (www.vwtrendweb.com) and found allot of information about rebuilding an early Superbeetle in their archives. It's worth checking out at the very least.
9 Fingers

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums