73 super looking for friends

Post something about yourself and your ride

73 super looking for friends

Postby christiancarpenter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:38 pm

good day. i'm norm. bought my 73 about 6 months ago and re-did it for fun. it is far from show quality and i don't want to get it there as i like to drive it and not worry so much about spilled drinks and what not. i do kinda baby it though, so far. when i got it the inside was pretty much gutted (and what wasn't pretty much needed to be). the outside was a couple colors and kinda rough, but workable. it would start with a jump and a shot of ether. rebuilt the carb and gave it a valve job and tune up and now she runs sweet. sanded the outside, patched a few spots, and rolled on a od green paint scheme (don't ask why but i always wanted a car that color and think it is real cool on an old german machine). for the most part everything works (it is without some wiring-interior lights, seat belt chime, horn). i just drive it around town mostly but took it up to alva last week to pick up a deer from the processer and noticed i had a decent oil leak going on. i'm thinking the sustained higher rpms were building pressure and hoping the breather box i ordered will correct that. ran great though and was alot of fun. it has a ways to go but is road worthy now. i look forward to pulling up to a crowd of you all and meeting in person. i have lots of questions. her's a couple pics.

Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Re: 73 super looking for friends

Postby christiancarpenter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:44 pm

she has since gotten some new tires and some custom (nice way of saying homemade) t-bars from and back. interior is as finished as i'm gonna make it. i like her alot and she goes by "milli". cheerio.
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Postby gimpy60 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:36 am

I see ya found us, welcome here, stay tuned as there is a meeting every month in MWC at the Santa Fe restaurant on 29th. Vwjim, the moderator will let ya in on the date.....later JP ;)
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby gimpy60 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:38 am

P.S. yer car lookin good.
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vdubjim » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Looks good man! Best super ive seen in some time!!

I doubt the breather box will help. Where is the oil leak from?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby christiancarpenter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

seems to be from behind the pulley. i noticed my generator stand wasn't completely tight and got 3/4 of the nuts tightened down (can't get the front drivers side without removing the intake). i'm gonna check for anymore looseness and check the pressure relief valves (been reading everything i can find and that seems like the next thing to look at). running really good but i just hate leaving oil everytime i park. and you were correct, the breather did little to nothing (i do feel better about having it on there though). the pulley is slinging enough oil that if i leave the engine cover up after parking, i'll get drips running down the back fenders as it drips off the hood, as well as the puddle under the pulley tin. it was never a leaker until i took it for a long drive, then something happened.
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Depends if the leak from the stand is dripping on the pully or if its really dripping from behind.
Make sure the stock breather on the filler is not plugged or blocked.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Fireplug77 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 am

The stand has a metal gasket between it and the case. If the stand came loose you usually have to replace it to stop the oil leak. Give me call 830-1197 Robert
Fireplug77

Postby christiancarpenter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

i cleaned my plugs (oil pressure control and relief) up yesterday. the front one was a bugger to get out. had to use a tap (10mm was way to small, ended up being a 1/2" tapp. got it out and cleaned it up but the bore seamed kinda gouged up so i wrapped some sand paper around a pencil and cleaned it up like that. got the rough stuff out but it's still not smooth enough for the piston to ride freely. what is the best way to clean that up with the engine still in the car? also, i have 2 of the same plugs. someone mentioned that german built 1600dp engines came with 2 matching plugs but the local shop said the rear pulley side should be the grooved kind. to clarify, i'm ok with matching plugs? i was hoping this would solve my pulley oil leak but it is still there, but perhaps not as bad. i put the breather box on and it seems to be working (collecting oil and returning it to the filler tube). any ideas on the leak? is a compression test my next step to see if my rings are leaking? 73 super with 1600 dp. thanks in advance.
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Postby vdubjim » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 pm

not sure how the plugs should look, but maybe a brake cyl hone will fit?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby christiancarpenter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm

been away for awhile. tried the brake cylinder hone and it worked pretty well. still not sure about the matching plugs though. finally got down to bethany imports and looked around. ron was super helpful. he advised me to a 135 mainjet since my 009 flatspot had me just about hitting my head off the windshield going into second. picked up a much needed new choke as well. these cars take a while to warm up on their own, huh? i out a sandseal pulley kit in and my oil leak is gone. that is a huge relief to me. this is the best it's run and no leaks. i'm a happy camper.
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Postby vdubjim » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 am

depends by what you mean, a while to warm up.

For the motor to get warm, if you have no thermostat flaps, yes.

If you mean it runs like crap a while till its warm then it gets better....no.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Joe-405 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Nice super and welcome sir.

I had a 73 with full porsche suspension, scat interior and Larry's built dual port with dual carb's that was orange. I miss that car it was great out cornering new corvettes !
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby vdubjim » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 am

lost another to the craigslist.....
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby christiancarpenter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

update, i put a sand seal and pulley on adn the problem is gone. on another note, i sold it (money is tight) but picked up (traded a motorcycle) another project to keep me busy in the garage. it's also a 73 super so i feel pretty familiar with it. only difference is this one has an alt instead of generator. got it running yesterday and went around the block (only had a e-brake :shock: but just wanted to make sure the drive train was working). put a new master cylinder in and now i've got good brakes. a couple electrical gremlins to work out (blinkers/hazard issue keeps popping fuses) and had to wire in a pushbutton starter as the ignition switch was jacked. purs pretty nice now but i've got oil leaking down the tin from the front to under the coil/carb area. i'm guessing that is oil cooler seals. i'm trying to get up the courage to pull a motor for the first time and really clean it up, fix what needs fixing and learn something new. i need a rear engine tin. i'm guessing i can get that at bethany im.? i'll post pics when i get some downloaded. anyway, it's orange and black for you osu fans. go pokes!
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Return to New user INTRO

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums