Bug acts like it is running out of gas

post questions about your car

Bug acts like it is running out of gas

Postby mark56 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:12 pm

OK, I was driving the Oval on that nice extension of Main street between Penn and May last week, minding my own business. The car sputtered like it was running out of gas, so I hit the reserve, no better. Managed to goose it to a place where I could turn off and check it out. Checked the tank, plenty of gas. All ignition parts are in place and looking good. Tried to start again and it would sorta start, but not run. Waited a little longer, and tried again, same result. Tried again in about 4-5 minutes, and it acted like it would maybe start but not quite. I am encouraged. Another 5 minutes later, it started and after a bit, began to run smoothly again. I drove another 10 miles or so in town and it ran perfectly. I am looking for ideas as having that experience on Broadway extension or somewhere between here and the middle of nowhere would be nerve wracking at least. The car has never done that before or since.

The car is a 56 Oval, with 1600 sp, basically stock. 30PICT 2 carb, 009 distrubutor, KN aircleaner, the air temp was at least 100 degrees that day. The oil temp dipstick never registered overheat, I have about 1500 miles on the motor. Hoses, fuel tap, ignition parts, fuel pump, etc are less than 2 years old. I am not running any fuel filter except the sock on the fuel tap and the screen in the fuel pump, both renewed at overhaul 2 years ago. I had just driven about 10 miles on mostly highway at 65, before stopping at a business on Main street. All was well with no indication of problems.

The car has run great since then, no problems. If anybody has a suggestion of what may have caused this problem I would sure like to hear of it.

Thank you in advance, Mark
Random avatar
mark56

Re: Bug acts like it is running out of gas

Postby vdubjim » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Trash in the tank, trash in the carb like on the bowl, or sticky float/needle.

Drive it till it quits again. Take the airfilter off, look in the throat and pump the gas, does gas spray?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mark56 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for responding and for the good advice. It makes sense to me. I will run it almost out of gas then look in the tank to see if there is trash or if the little sock screen over the tap is loose or has a hole. That is a pretty fine mesh and not much will get through it. I had not planned to add a fuel line filter, but maybe it is called for. The system is pretty clean.

Drive it I will, and I will make sure to keep the tool kit with me.

Mark
Random avatar
mark56

Postby 9 Fingers » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm

With as bad as the gas is these days and who knows what kind of trash is in the gas station tanks I would highly recommend an in line filter perforably a clear one ( to see any trash). You might want to take the top of your carb off a look down in the float bowl and see if you have any grit or sand laying in the bottom.
Just my 2 Cents
Eric
9 Fingers

Postby mark56 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for the good advice. The filter will be cheap insurance. Probably mount it in the hose where the line exits the tunnel under the car unless there is a good reason to put it in the engine compartment. Its been a couple years and would not hurt to renew that hose anyway.

I will report back when I look in the carb.

Mark
Random avatar
mark56

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums