CV joint help please!

post questions about your car

CV joint help please!

Postby beachbum69 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Hey guys, This thing has been killing me all day, my 69 beetle had busted boots so i thought i should change them before i made the drive to Yukon on Saturday, i get the shaft out which was the easy part get all the old grease out then cut the old boots off, get the snap ring off and by then all the balls have fallen out, tired to keep 'em to the right joint but not sure if i did, finally get the new boots on clean up the joints put everything back together went to install and i can't get the joints to adjust, they wont move at all, their just stiff, and the grease, omg the grease! everywhere i see grease! it's so frustrating i don't know what else to do and then i have one more day to get this bug back on the road, so i'm starting to panic, i was wondering if anybody could give me some advice or help figure out what i'm doing wrong, if not i was gonna take the joint to the vw shop on western hopeful they could get it right, so any advice or help would be most thankful.
Random avatar
beachbum69

Re: CV joint help please!

Postby Joe-405 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 pm

dont you live by me ??? where you at ???
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby vdubjim » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

take the balls out, then the outer part has to be rotated one or 2 spots then put back togther.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:54 am

pix & explanation in most all the manuals, they won't turn iffen you don't have them clocked right. I always put minimal grease in the joint & fill the boot, when you get 'em in then squeeze the boot to force the grease into the joint. Another thing, when removing both from one axle, I use the vise to hold it & remove one at a time, then disassemble for cleaning, then chunk it in a labeled peanut can or something so I know inner or outer, left or right. I don't hold too much stock that they must be back in the same place on the car, but do think all components of the same joint should stay together. stay with it, once you get one right, the rest will be easy, good luck.....JP 8-)
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby beachbum69 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am

Okay, i'm starting early on this, one of the problems im having is taking the bearing back apart i can't get it to move at all, im heading to walmart for more brake cleaner, and some paper towels and gloves, ill try to post some pics here in a little bit, i don't know how long i should mess with it until giving up and taking it to someone, i still gotta put my bumpers on and go get my tag! I live by NW 36th and Penn, i don't know how far that is from ya Joe, but any help would be great. thanks guys. ill let ya know what happens.
Random avatar
beachbum69

Postby vdubjim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:54 am

Oh also dont forget there is a beveled edge on the outer part, it has to go on the outside to fit in the cups of the axle or trans.

This pic might help in the orientation.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums