Distributor/Ignition system comparisons.

post questions about your car

Distributor/Ignition system comparisons.

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:17 pm

This post is for the newbies that stumble across this forum. I'm sure that if you came to this that you have heard the difference between the SVDA and the 009 distributors and still have questions. I'm not going to say what brand my new parts are for 2 reasons; first, I don't want to catch static just because someone doesn't like the company I bought from, and second I don't want this to seem like an advertisement. First, the specs on my car. I have a 1972 Super Beetle with a 1600 dual port engine that is equipped with a 34 PICT/3 carburetor. When I purchased my car it had the 009 distributor with the points and condenser combination, which runs well enough, but it was not designed to be used for automotive purposes and definitely NOT designed to be used with the 34 PICT/3 carb. My estimated fuel economy was 18 mpg with the 009 installed. Since the 009 does not have a vacuum advance there is a stumble on acceleration due to the centrifugal advance not operating until around 1200 rpm. I installed an SVDA distributor with electronic ignition and estimated the timing advance and immediately noticed a difference with the way the motor ran, and this is just at idle. When I took it for a test drive, still without properly adjusting the timing, the stumble was completely gone. One thing to keep in mind is that my test drive was 18.7 miles, not just around the block, and not at 25 miles per hour. Another thing to keep in mind is that I can get pretty close with estimating the timing based on the sound of the engine.

Note:
If you don't have experience with changing distributors or adjusting the timing, DO NOT drive your car without first setting the timing. Doing so could result in severe engine damage.

Make sure your engine is set with the number 1 piston at top dead center under the compression stroke, this will make things a lot easier.

Finally, make sure you have the plug wires in the correct sequence, which is usually stamped into the generator pedestal, with the cylinder 1 plug wire plugged into the distributor cap at the location the rotor is pointing to. Failure to do so may cause severe engine damage.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I can't answer the question another one of the club members will be able to.
NorskeMann82

Re: Distributor/Ignition system comparisons.

Postby 9 Fingers » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:15 am

Brother I'm with you on the merits of the SVDA over the 009. Since changing I've got no more off idle stumble and smooth acceleration up to red line. I got the best deal (after online shopping thru 30 or so websites) straight from Pertronix as they where offering free shipping at the time. For a small streetable engine Vaccum may suck but that turned out to be a good thing :lol:
9 Fingers

Postby vdubjim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 am

quick search mooreparts looks cheapest depending on shipping.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm

I used my VW to commute to work today. It started with no problems and with an open choke. The drive to work didn't net me any new results, but the drive home amazed me. The engine stayed much cooler than it had been with the 009 distributor. I topped off my tank and should have some estimates later this week as to what the new fuel economy is. I could kick myself for not trying this much sooner.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 pm

how do you know its cooler?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 am

I have an oil temp gauge. It's been pretty accurate.
NorskeMann82

Postby Mason » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Mason

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:14 pm

The word I meant to say was consistant, not accurate. Working a ton of overtime causes brain farts sometimes. I checked my new fuel economy and I am now getting 27 miles per gallon. How's that for an increase? The distributor will pay for itself in no time.
NorskeMann82

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:19 am

I did the math and with what I'm saving in fuel the distributor will have paid for itself in about 5 weeks. That's driving 320 miles per week for work at $3.25 for a gallon of fuel.
NorskeMann82

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums