Electric fuel pump (posted by Bugophile)

post questions about your car

Electric fuel pump (posted by Bugophile)

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 am

I notice after my bug gets warmed up after highway speeds it tends to stall on acceleration and the fuel filter perculates for lack of a better word, and has very little fuel in it. If I drive consevative it does not show these symptoms. I was thinking of adding a fuel pump. Any Ideas on a brand and where to install on the car? Do I put it in series before the mechanical pump? Can I remove the mechanical pump and cap it off?

superwoodrow Jun 9 2009, 06:14 PM Post #2
Advanced Member

Group:Members
Member#97
Yeah, you can remove the mechanical pump, I've been running a facet electric for years and years (1776 dual Weber IDF's). Put it up front under the tank, its easier for it to push fuel than suck it. It's noisy though. At least yours isn't vapor locking so it probably isn't overheating too bad. Make sure you have all the tin on and tight and your timing is correct to keep your temps down. You're not running a power pulley are you?

Brett
Charlie don't surf!

Bugophile Jun 9 2009, 08:09 PM Post #3
Advanced Member

Member#198
All tin is there and I have timing set to original specs. Also the valve settings are fresh. New carb. Could be running lean, I dont know. Do you use a block off for the mech pump or do you just by pass it?

vdubjim Jun 9 2009, 11:44 PM Post #4
Administrator

Group:Admin
Member#1
make sure your fuel lines are not on the exhaust near the tranny.

stock pump should be working fine. check your fuel tank for blockage
Vintage Speedwerks
Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers

Bugophile Jun 10 2009, 11:59 AM Post #5
Advanced Member

Member#198
I pulled the line loose to drain the tank and the flow was steady. No trash came out. Going to get the electric today and try it. Still going to clean the tank out and change the rubber. Also going to electronic ignition.

vdubjim Jun 10 2009, 11:37 PM Post #6
Administrator

Group:Admin
Member#1
check for kinked lines by the tranny?

that car at the show had one like that under that tank.
Vintage Speedwerks
Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers

superwoodrow Jun 11 2009, 01:44 AM Post #7
Advanced Member

Member#97
I put a block off plate on mine, but you can just take out the rod and bolt the pump back on. I think.

Brett
Charlie don't surf!

69GHIA Jun 11 2009, 01:57 AM Post #8
Advanced Member

Member#230
Listen to what vdubjim is saying. if there is a kink in the line it doesn't matter what you buy or how you install it, it wont work if it's starved for fuel (such as a "kink"). As far as a block off plate or no block off plate. Why half ass it? Spend the small amount of money and do it right the first time with a block off plate...

Bugophile Jun 11 2009, 12:11 PM Post #9
Advanced Member

Member#198
Cleaned the tank, replaced the rubber seals on filler tube and vent tubes. installed filter at bottom of tank, installed new hoses and steel line through fire wall, removed mech pump, rod, and fenolic spacer and installed a block off plate.

Tonight I am installing and hooking up the fuel pump, wires and hopefully if there is no fire involved I will be back on the road Saturday.

I have all the vent tubes tied together, do I need to vent the gas cap to keep from producing a vac in the fuel tank??

Bugophile Jun 12 2009, 11:50 AM Post #10
Advanced Member

Member#198
Installed the electric fuel pump and adjusted the timing and so far no more vapor lock. Woo Hoo! Seems to run cooler, Distributer was loose so I replaced the clamp and locked it down tight. Next issue is the ignition switch. I think the contacts are getting wore out.
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums