Electronic Ignition

post questions about your car

Electronic Ignition

Postby zheatman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:49 am

I have a 73 Ghia, with an older electronic ignition conversion. I would like to replace it with a comletely new Electronic distribitor. Can any body recommend a brand and reliable company to deal with?
zheatman

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby vdubjim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 pm

pertronix
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby 9 Fingers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 pm

I'll second Jim's reccomendation -- had a Pertronix unit in my 009 it worked flawlessly. But if your looking for a whole distributor I would reccomend their SVDA, it doesn't have the 009's off idle dead spot problem.
9 Fingers

Postby vwracerdave » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:34 pm

What size engine and what carbs are you running? If your old ignition works you may be just wasting your money getting a new ignition.
vwracerdave

Postby zheatman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:22 am

Just thought I would throw out an update on the electronic ignition saga. Ended up buying a Pertronix flame thrower distribitor with vacuum advance and flamethower coil to match. Had a small problem installing it, the o-ring on the shaft was a bit large and wouldn't go through the hole. Found a smaller one at the hardware store and got it installed. Also installed new spark plugs and wires. Running pretty good now with a slight hesitation coming out of second gear. So far happy with the Pertronix brand.
zheatman

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums