First time vw owner

Post something about yourself and your ride

First time vw owner

Postby bajakid » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I am a first time vw owner and i am very excited
i have a 1969 baja bug
it runs but need some love
i like doing the work on it myself, but i need a voice of experience!
if there is anyone out there that can help me, let me know
thanks alot and happy bugging
bajakid

Re: First time vw owner

Postby vdubjim » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 am

I know myself and grumpy are up for helping.
As for shops check out the shop feedback forum, no need to restate all that again.

I would get the how to keep your vw alive book, john muir. ebay like 5-10, new 20ish.
GREAT book!

WElcome!

Post up some pics!
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Joe-405 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Aww yes Jim pretty much got it all................... And i think Bethany Import in okc has the book also.

And i am willing to help as well. I have had a few bugs................ Actually make that alot !
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby bajakid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks alot guys!! i have started taking the fenders and the body off to work on the chassis and the pans! if you guy are around today, hit me back cause ill be out in the garage all day working!
bajakid

Postby Joe-405 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

DO NOT FORGET the rear seat belt bolts !!!! they hold the body on also.

I always forget those stupid things. lol
Joe-405

Postby christiancarpenter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

welcome dude. got any pictures? careful, these things are addicting!
Random avatar
christiancarpenter

Postby bajakid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

There are the nine bolt down the side, the two in the front and a few under the rear seat, right?? i have the interior gutted, the fenders off and the baja front nose off. we are starting to unhook the steering and figure out what to do to unhook the rest of the components so the body will come off.
They are addicting, this is my first one and i love it!! i feel like i can work on it with no major problems.
i have some pictures but i cant upload them, i will try to take some more as the day wears on!!
thanks for your help guys!!
bajakid

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:41 pm

just dont make it harder than it needs to be, and youll have no probs!
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby bajakid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

well, we got the body off and wow!! this is going to be a bigger project than i thought!!
bajakid

Postby Joe-405 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

bajakid wrote:well, we got the body off and wow!! this is going to be a bigger project than i thought!!

Welcome to my world................. Mine looked better with it on the pan also. I got lots of pics in my street car build thread.
Joe-405

Postby bajakid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

so here i have sat for the last two day with a list of questions about the bug that i have! i finally figured out that i have a H code on the block, which i guess means its a 1500cc?? i have questions about the steering and the front suspension, what can i do to improve and help without breaking the bank?? i am wanting to tear the motor down to the rings to replace all the seals and gaskets, but what can i do to improve the existing case? where is all the oil coming from???? how do i get into the hump to work on the heater controls? and thats not even getting started on the body!! can anyone help me?? i would gladly buy anyone lunch and a few cold beers for any advise!!
bajakid

Postby Joe-405 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

how do i get into the hump to work on the heater controls.........................

the only way i know of is the service port in front of the pan behind the beam.

EDIT : I just saw your location i am in NW OKC also i am going to get the pro street bug in tulsa on saturday but i should be able to answer most of the questions and am free on sunday (i think)
Joe-405

Postby vdubjim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 am

what the hump?

The steering and suspension is pretty stout as is, just put new balljoints and tierod ends if yours are iffy, and if you got the scratch some nice kyb silver (onroad) or white if ALOT of offroading.

The block number and engine size really dont go hand in hand generally since 99% have been rebuilt. I wouldnt do a teardown like you want it wont last. at least get new pistons/cyl. Brazilian at least, not Chinese, shop around online catch a sale 125 ish.

Where is the oil coming from? I guess you have a leak? On old engines usually the oil cooler seals.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby bajakid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 pm

again i thank you guy for your willingness to help!! the pro street looks like quite a machine!! i would love to check it out! i will be around all day sunday, most likely out in the garage working on the bug!
i think the oil leak is eight from the piston rings and the push rod tubes or much more. the right bank seems to be burning some oil because the exhaust has a black filth to it, and the left bank is even worse. is the oil cooler on the left side of the engine somewhere?? i have not even started to touch the engine yet.
bajakid

Postby gimpy60 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:07 am

Be sure to bag & tag ALL parts, use coffee cans or baggies, a few pix of things before you disassemble always helps. Manuals are good too, I have just about every book made for vws, & I been playin with them off & on for over 40 yrs. You should make a plan & try to stick to it, i.e. if the engine runs leave it alone till you get the pans in & body pretty much done. You can get too much goin on at one time & be overwhelmed, then another bug ends up in the back yard rustin away. It happens quite a bit, I have a yard full of peoples "projects" that died for one reason or another. Just keep focused on the task at hand, it will come together with time. JP
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby bajakid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 am

we have been making a video as we take this thing apart, and have been taking pics of everything before it comes apart!! im sure you know, but there are 100s of little baggies in the garage now, all labeled with there specific place!! our plan was to fix everything we can or the chassis from front to back, then start working on the body, the reunite the two pieces and finalize!! i know it cant all be done at once, so slow and steady we a re trying to move forward!! i really wanted to use this bug to learn about the air cooled engine and how it all works, then i want to get another bug to actually keep for a while!!
bajakid

Postby Joe-405 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm

It was nice meeting you today. Be talking to you again shortly
Joe-405

Postby bajakid » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:37 pm

it was nice to meet you as well!! thank you again for all the help!! it just makes me more excited every thought!!
bajakid

Return to New user INTRO

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums