Generator to alternator

post questions about your car

Generator to alternator

Postby mandoclimber » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Well looks like I decided to make the switch... I found this basic schematic (on the samba).... does this look correct? I dont want to fry a new alternator....

Any feedback would be great....
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Re: Generator to alternator

Postby vdubjim » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Looks right to me
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mandoclimber » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:31 am

Well I am now a part of the Alternative I mean alternator nation. The conversion went rather well. Yeah..... good day and great day to be twisting wrenches outside..
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby vdubjim » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:16 am

Howd you do it?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mandoclimber » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove Carb
3. Remove Belt
4. Using 36 mm (1/2 inch drive) reach behind fan shroud and break nut loose- It is really helpful if you have someone who can help you with this- by holding the generator pulley in place (screwdriver if using stock pulley - jam nut if using a serpentine belt).
5 Grunt and scream to break nut loose - when free remove nut and washer (you can also remove the pulley and the shims from the front).
6. Remove wires from generator
7. Remove generator strap
8. Revove the 4 screws on facing plate that hold it to the fan shroud.... (the bottom left is the most fun if you dont have a large selection of tools- box end gets it but would be easier with a ratchet style box end- granted this is with a stock carb- running duals not an issue)
9. Remove generator from motor be careful not lose the shims/ remove the fan sleeve adapter (or whatever it is called- dont lose the woodruff key either)
10. Remove the nuts holding plate to generator
11. Reverse order.... pretty much to install (generator - if putting an alternator on... well you have some wires to cut and some more work... look at diagram for internal regulator... if use an external regulator even more wire cutting :shock: )

I will say this- it would be easier without the deck lid on- but it can be done with it on...

I hope this helps someone else... btw - this was written from memory so if something was left out I apologize- enjoy tinkering- it is a great day for a drive....

Jerel
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby mandoclimber » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Well the saga continues.... Ok so here is one for the group... I changed from a generator to an alternator as noted by the thread, well it seems that in the process of swapping things out, my car decided to run good to barely running at all. In regards to fuel or spark system the only thing that I did was pull off the carb and put it back on. Well apparently somewhere in that exchange the car wont idle nor will it rev up. If you do not keep your foot on the accelerator it will stall out. Also if you try to rev it acts as though it will only go so high then stop... You can floor it but it just barely moves... I dont know what it is reving to bc I dont have a tach to measure but it is considerablly lower than 3000 rpm.

I have already took the carb off and took top off and looked at and inspected float, choke, and accelerator pump.... all looks good.

So here is my to do list.....

check/ set valves.... (although they were just set less than 500 miles ago)

beyond that I am at a loss....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Jerel
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby vdubjim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Did you take the carb off to do the gen?

It almost sounds like the needle is stuck and its flooding out? Try and run it with the aircleaner off and look in the throat, is gas pooring outta the vent?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mandoclimber » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Sounds good- I will give it a try... I will also check to make sure something has not got sucked into the jet clogging it up as well... appreciate the idea...
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby yellow73 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:53 pm

When I upgraded to the Alternator my accelerator pump lever hit the back of the Alternator. Turn the engine off push the throttle down and see if anything binds against the Alternator. I had to grind off part of the back of the Alternator housing. The housing is really thick there and I ground down about 1/2 inch untill the lever cleared. Oh yea if it is hitting just mark where it is hitting, take the carb off cover the intake and get to grinding. Hope this helps.
yellow73

Postby vdubjim » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Good call! didnt even think of that!
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 am

When I upgraded to the Alternator my accelerator pump lever hit the back of the Alternator.

I had wondered about the accelerator pump but never really gave it any serious thought.... Thanks.. I have not had time to inspect either the carb or the pump yet.... This whole work thing is a downer on my wrench time.... I will let everyone know what it is as soon as I figure it out.... :shock:
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:08 am

Well I checked it out... at least the accelerator pump this morning on my way out the door.... it clears the alternator with no problem... so hopefully this afternoon I can pull the carb and tear it down and check everything out.... Thanks for all the suggestions...
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Well it looks like I had some trash in the jet.... so cleaned that out and put a new fuel filter on... paper kind (have a glass one... looks good but not as effective). All is well... Thanks for everyones input....
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums