ignition problems check (posted by hippy freek)

post questions about your car

ignition problems check (posted by hippy freek)

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 am

hippy freek May 17 2009, 09:51 PM Post #1
hippie freek

Group:Members
Member#86
ok just a little help for when you get stuck with starting problems. i was working on a 72 bug that i had problems with starting. i would turn the key and the gen. light would dim but i would get nothing from it. i checked the starter, no problems there. i put in a hard start relay and it didnt seem to help ( but it wont hurt to have one). i ohmed out the starter switch by pulling out the wire harness that has the RdBlk. Rd. BlkYlo.BrBL. and black wire. i could start the car by turning on the key and jumpering from the red/black wire that goes back to the starter (there is a connection between the Red/black and red wire going to the starter) using that T connection i jumped from that to the hot wires on the back of the fuse box. this is a good indication that you have wire problems in the front because this is a direct jump from the hot wire on the fuse box to the starter. if it doesnt try to start up here. then you have problems further back.
so i took the wires off and pulld the harness out and ohmed all the wires and everything was good. i put everything back together and it started fine. i dont know if i had a kinked wire or something but if your having problems just work your way back to the origin.

thanks
mike

vdubjim May 17 2009, 11:34 PM Post #2
Administrator

Group:Admin
Member#1
Good advice indeed.
Perhaps a shorter method, use a screwdriver on the starter, if it turns then one can immediatly assume key or wire from it
Vintage Speedwerks
Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums