New problem; Engine stalls (posted by Bugophile)

post questions about your car

New problem; Engine stalls (posted by Bugophile)

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am

Bugophile May 13 2009, 08:05 PM Post #1
Advanced Member

Group:Members
Member#198
Situation on my 71 Super, New carb, new fuel pump ,filter and pump push rod. New hoses. All tin in place. Stock oil air filter.

Car runs good when driven for about 15 min at 60 mph or above on highway.
I then exit to a stop sign. Car idles normal.
When I try to pull from the stop the engine acts like there is no fuel and dies.
Pedal to the floor and crank till it starts. Then it runs fine and doesn't die after subsequent stops.

Any Suggestions?

vdubjim May 14 2009, 12:06 AM Post #2
Administrator

Group:Admin
Member#1
LOL tons

Vapor lock
wrong fuel pump rod, not enough to keep carb full?
intake/vacuum leak
Fuel filter blocked
trash in the fuel tank?

Vintage Speedwerks
Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers

Bugophile May 14 2009, 04:11 PM Post #3
Advanced Member

Member#198
Fuel filter stays full when driving around town. After being on highway the filter looks almost empty. Might pull tank and check strainer and flush. Its only got 38 years of crap in it. Need to change the filler neck seals and tube anyway. Filter was clean and pump rod is new and seems to be engaging unless the cam is wore out. If it was that bad I wouldn't think the filter would fill up with fuel. Drove it this morning to work 15 miles . Start and stop traffic with 45 to 50 mph speeds. No problems.

superwoodrow May 14 2009, 06:14 PM Post #4
Advanced Member

Member#97
Might check and see if the fuel line fron the tank to the tunnel is kinked. Mine did that years ago and I could drive around town all day but as soon as I got on the highway it'd get starved for fuel. Also might check that the volumn screw is adjusted correctly and the idle cut off valve works right.

good luck

Brett
Charlie don't surf!
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums