New to forum/beetles. 1972 Super Beetle

Post something about yourself and your ride

New to forum/beetles. 1972 Super Beetle

Postby JcB6685 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 am

Hello! My name is Jonathan, I am 26 and recently purchased a 1972 Super Beetle. I guess I will tell you a little about myself, as well as a lot about my Super Beetle.

I am pretty sure I can pinpoint the time I found interest in Beetles. I was sitting at a stop light, at SE 15th and Post Rd in Midwest City several years ago. Up beside us pulled a Beetle, I sat there examining the car and noticed it had a wheelie bar in the back. As the light turned green, I saw exactly why it had wheelie bars when the front end came off the ground and it sped through the intersection. From that day on I have always wanted a Beetle.

My first taste of owning a Beetle came when I was 16. One of my sisters friend had one they were willing to sell. I knew nothing about Beetles, but I purchased it anyways for $500. It was a 1974 (I didn't know the difference between Supers and Beetles) Beetle and the engine was outside of the car. I got the engine put back together, but shortly afterwards went into the military. When I went off to boot camp, I left it at my friends grandparents house. From boot camp, I went to schooling and from there I immediately went on deployment. While I was gone his grandparents became ill and were forced into a nursing home. Their greedy children sold the land and everything on it. I lost my first Beetle, along with a lot of my other personal items. Several years have now gone past, but I have still had a desire to own another Beetle.

The chance came when my buddy, who is rebuilding a Fiero, mentioned how he was going to do a Beetle once his Fiero was done. From there, I went on craigslist, just to see what was on there and came across the Super I own today. It was a 1972 Super Beetle with an asking price of $500 that I figured I could get for $300. My buddy and I went to look at it, where I determined that I would probably still pay $500 since I had been wanting one so long. I walked around the car several times, examining both inside and out. I noticed, there was a dent in the trunk lid, dent under the headlight on driver side fender, engine cover was just hanging, interior was pretty ruff. I examined the floor pan, the drivers side appeared okay, while the passenger side was needing replaced from the back of the seat rail to the back of the battery compartment. I tried to turn the pulley by hand to no avail. The entire time I am walking around the car, I am telling myself to ask $300 and asking questions. I then go to ask him if he will take less but instead of saying $300, I said $400 to which he said yes to without hesitation. I called a friend and had it towed to my house.

Once at my house I was able to get a closer look. I tried to see if the engine would break loose with a wrench and got nothing. I then pulled the plugs and filled each slot with Mystery Oil. For a few days I tried rocking the pulley back and forth then went on vacation from two weeks. I recently got back, pulled the motor and started disassembling it. I got the heads off and it wasn't until then that I got the piston to break free from the cylinder walls. I now need to take the case to a machine shop to see if I can still use the case. I have started to gut the interior, to get access to the floor boards and shall continue on to that today. I will include a few pictures of the car, motor and passenger floor board.

This is the first Beetle that I am going to tear into by myself so I may ask a lot of questions and visit the forum often.
Attachments
170.jpg
782.jpg
This is the car as it sat before I got it home
(33.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Random avatar
JcB6685

Re: New to forum/beetles. 1972 Super Beetle

Postby vdubjim » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:20 pm

welcome!
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Fireplug77 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Welcome, there is a VW car show in Tulsa tomorrow that would be a good show to go look around. If you go to the events it tells you where. Robert
Fireplug77

Postby vwlimoguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Do you live on 19th and I44? You pic looks like one on that corner that I've seen being worked on. If so, I live on the other side of the highway.
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Postby JcB6685 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Yes, I do. My roommate actually saw you drive your limo by one day. I then was so curious, that I found you on the forum and read up on your limo. Are you on 19th on the other side of the highway?
Random avatar
JcB6685

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Welcome to our forum, we will try to help you anyway we can. Thank you for your service to OUR country. Look on the board for meeting times, we just eat & talk aircooled. Good luck with yur new toy. JP 8-)
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vwlimoguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 pm

I live on 18th on the other side of the highway. Let me know if you need anything. I have plenty of experience with the '71-'72 Super Beetles.
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Return to New user INTRO

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums