Ocho and I

Post something about yourself and your ride

Ocho and I

Postby BajaB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Howdy all,

I've got a 63 Baja bug, its got an issue with rust but runs fine and I've got it patched up tell I am ready to replace the floor pan.

My plans are to replace the rusty parts, add a full cage, and then go full coil overs (not the EMPI ones :lol: ) I'm a south of most of the VW guys here by the looks of it. I'm out of Ardmore, and mostly just take my bug on trails for now. Thankfully we've got a VW shop here in Ardmore, its pretty good with a pretty large junkyard as well. (http://www.earlmannbugshop.com/)

The bug itself has a 1600sp out of a newer 70's superbeetle and still is swingarm. That will change when I do the pans, will end up with IRS on the rear.
Random avatar
BajaB

Re: Ocho and I

Postby vdubjim » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Cool glad you made it here!

You might have to do some investigating to figure out your car:

FULL coil overs are only good if you make it LONG travel, usually means tieing the suspension to the cage and eliminating the stock points.

Earl man usually has a 2 year waiting list and is expensive as hell.

Change pans end up with IRS?? are you changing the ENTIRE pan to IRS? meaning you will loose the strong linkpin front end and get balljoint?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm doing all my own work, I'd love to have one of his bugs but can't afford the labor. :lol: I wont call myself a vw guru, as I end up asking for advice normally everytime I buy parts but Mr.Mann knows his stuff for sure.

I plan on long travel coilovers and FOA seem to be the best bang for the buck. I'll be converting the swingarm to the IRS setup. http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... ersion.htm

As for the engine I'm going to convert it over to using Megajolt which uses the ford EDIS system, so I'll have a fully tunable electronic ignition system, I'll be leaving it single port but might also consider turbocharging the engine in due time.. Just mostly finding the time to work on my little bug.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby 69ghia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Glad to have you as a member man. Hope to see you at some of our club functions starting again in spring...
69ghia

Postby hotrodokie02 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 am

You mean they'll be no gatherings before spring? Damn, I'm gonna get thirsty by then?
hotrodokie02

Postby mandoclimber » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 am

Welcome... hope to see you at some events as time and travel permit.
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby vdubjim » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Sounds like your on the way.
EDIS for a singleport seems like a bit of a waste, but if it gets the setup configured corectly for later mods down the road might be a good idea then.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Ahh, well the SP's have more low end torque then the DP. Should be good for a Baja though.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:37 am

When you get going throw up a build thread!!

You going with these pulley?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 pm

I've got everything for the megajolt already, unsure on buying a premade pulley though as they just look bolted together and I could weld the trigger wheel I already have onto an old steel pulley.. but either way I'd have to buy a pulley.

I'll get a thead up with some updated pictures, I've done a few changes since my last pictures of my bug.
Random avatar
BajaB

Return to New user INTRO

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums