Oil Leak

post questions about your car

Oil Leak

Postby bloodbath » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm pretty new to working on cars and vws, but I need a little help with my solving a problem I'm having. I have oil leaking from a part directly to the right of the distributor. I've looked through some of the service manuals I have and I can't figure out what this is. As you can see the previous owner used some kind of sealant on the area. I just wanted to know what this part is before I remove it and try to replace it with the correct part and gaskets. It only leaks small amounts and I keep an eye on the oil level in the engine and it still stays at the correct level. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Random avatar
bloodbath

Re: Oil Leak

Postby bloodbath » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Also, I probably left out some key information. It's a 72 super beetle with a 73 motor.
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby vdubjim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm

thats a home made fuel pump block off plate using a piece of tin and the original pump spacer.
Go to larrys or bethany imports and buy a proper block off plate 8-15$ im sure. It will get rid of that black plastic thing.

Be careful when you pull it out, if it is stuck at the bottom it might break off and plastic fall inside the motor.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Joe-405 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Or you can put a mechanical fuel pump back in it.
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby bloodbath » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 am

Thanks really appreciate the help
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby bloodbath » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd use this one. I've fixed a few things on the motor. Bought the correct block off plate, new air filter, new heater hoses, changed oil and oil screen, and fixed the stripped out studs on the oil sump drain plate. Now I have encountered a new oil leak. I'm pretty sure it's comming from the flywheel seal. With the engine running it has a constant drip comming between the transmission and motor. I plan on taking it to the hobby shop here on base in a couple of weeks and dropping the motor. I just want to wait and gather a few other parts I want to change while the motor is out.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any tips or advice for this. This wil be my first time taking the motor out so I'm pretty nervous that I will mess something up. I've done quite a bit of research on other forums so I have a pretty good idea what I need to do. It seems pretty easy except for actually installing the seal and checking the endplay. I hear that you need a special tool to install the flywheel seal. Also, I need to try and find a gauge of some sort to measure the endplay. Anyone know of a place I could rent these from or buy them at a reasonable price?
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby Mason » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:07 pm

There are a few options for flywheel tools.
the cheap one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZniT8xDjNU4&list=FLBCdt52UPHRBakfkwnMiycg&index=3&feature=plpp_video
and the more expensive one http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7070
Bethany should have one in stock

For end play theres the usual dial indicator and this thing. Might be able to find a dial indicator at harbor freight or somewhere similar
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7095

You'll also need a way to keep the engine from turning while you remove the flywheel
some people rig it, other use a special tool some use an impact.

Pulling the motor is easy , fuel line, throttle cable , a few wires, some heater control cables, exhaust clamps and the four bolts. easy for one person to do. Some others might chime in here. This is John , the guy that talked to you a few weeks ago with the blue squareback .
I'd check the clutch while its out to see how much meat is left on it. Might as well change the fuel line while its out as well.

I'm sure some others will chime in. Good luck
Mason

Postby vdubjim » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:06 pm

36mm socket
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby bloodbath » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Well everything was going pretty well. I replaced the seal and o-ring, but when I was putting the flywheel back on I snapped the gland nut in half. I used a 3/4" breaker bar, 36 mm socket, and a big pipe as a cheater bar. I must have way over torqued or the gland nut was weak to begin with.

Anyway, the threads are still in the motor and I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to get them out. I really hope there's a way to get it out without having to completely disassemble the motor. Any ideas?

Here's the pictures:
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby vdubjim » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Careful chisel use or Might weld a nut to what's left of gland nut, then back out while hot.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby vdubjim » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Also hard to tell but are your dowelpins broke off too?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm

BUY,BORROW, OR STEAL THE RIGHT TOOLS TO DO THE JOB WITH. SIXTY BUX WOULD HAVE SAVED YOUR ASS MORE THAN TWICE THAT. IS WRONG WITH YOU PEEPLE????????????? CHEATER PIPES , BARS, ETC., ONLY BREAK SHIT, BOTTOM LINE. ;)
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby bloodbath » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm

The dowel pins aren't broken off. I'm going to see if I can find a big enough extractor to get it out tomarrow.
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby Fireplug77 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:14 am

I have a 3/4 Torque wrench to for putting on fly wheel and other stuff. I do not loan tools, but contact me and I'll come over with it. I think the club would help anyone if they need it. Robert 405-830-1197

Hi! JP
Fireplug77

Postby bloodbath » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Good news got it all back together and it runs with no leaks. Thanks for the advice guys!
Random avatar
bloodbath

Postby derbug » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:59 am

I realize this is an old Thread
FYI: for in the future if you ever do this:
If you ever break a gland nut, there is no problem retrieving the threads or what is left
out of the crankshaft. This is not an interference fit: the gland nut and the crank...it is all
about pressure at the head of the nut/washer against the flywheel.
I did the same many years ago....thought OH! CRAP!! when I did the same....
the threads backed out of the crank with minimum effort: I just used an expanding tool,
same as I use for the crank large C clip on the pulley end....I was so amazed how easy it
came out ! Makes one respect what one can do with a cheater bar on the gland nut.

It also made me realize why for hot engine/high HP applications, why it is recommended to have an
eight dowel crank/flywheel with longer dowels and the larger Crank Nut/Washer
derbug

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums