Project Super Ocho (63 Baja)

Post updates to your projects

Project Super Ocho (63 Baja)

Postby BajaB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Figured I'd start a build thread today since I'm now forced to do some work on my car besides fixing rust and such. :lol: I ran over peice of wood and managed to screw up my rocker tubes (on a side note, anyone that owns a truck make sure you secure your shit down.. I didn't get the a-hole's plates or I'd be getting some of this damaged paid for) :x So I'm going to replace the pistons and cylinders, rocker tubes, port and polish the head, and a few other small things.. Then assemble the intake for the supercharger, and make the pulley for the sc along with installing my EDIS trigger wheel for megajolt.

The supercharger is the SC14 off of a toyota unsure of what carb it will end up with yet 100% toying with my options.

More power is nice, I'm just hoping I'll get more gain on power then I'd have got with a 1641 upgrade as I got the supercharger for another car and just never used it. Not to mention I'm debating on leaving the SC on the electronic clutch.
Random avatar
BajaB

Re: Project Super Ocho (63 Baja)

Postby BajaB » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 pm

When I saw this I decided to do it: http://aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=65678

just to give you guys an idea of what is going on somewhat on my plans, I have the SC14 spare as it was going to be on a Datsun of mine

Since I don't have a decklid I wont be angling it the same as this guys but you can normally pick one up for around 200 bucks.

Also have some new pistons and jugs on the way.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 am

2007 to 2009 were the post dates, i didnt read ALL of them, but whats the longevity? and i dont mean block etc...

all that weight of the carb hanging, that mani will surely crack or break. The quality mount on the fuel pump and the threaded rod to the gen? that seems like it will cause problems. i might extend a big plate from the fuel pump to the alternator stand studs too. and something else up higher, maybe to the 2 bolts on the fanshroud gen backing plate at least.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 am

Them's called bugs, Jim. I think he has a handle on what's going on, debuggin along the way. I think I would rather go for a turbo tho, looks like it would be less work, maybe not? JP
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:53 am

I dont know anything about superchargers. It would be easier to make it injected and easier to tune.
It definetly looks interesting.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:22 pm

vdubjim wrote:2007 to 2009 were the post dates, i didnt read ALL of them, but whats the longevity? and i dont mean block etc...

all that weight of the carb hanging, that mani will surely crack or break. The quality mount on the fuel pump and the threaded rod to the gen? that seems like it will cause problems. i might extend a big plate from the fuel pump to the alternator stand studs too. and something else up higher, maybe to the 2 bolts on the fanshroud gen backing plate at least.

I'm not sure on how long it will last, might be 1 mile might be 1000 I'll find out :lol: I'll be doing a much better mount, I don't really like his too much but he was also trying to keep it all under his decklid and a baja wont have that issue. As for tuning it would be no different then the motor being N/A just have to make sure not to go too lean. I'll be running a wideband o2 so I'll have some sense of my mixture.

gimpy60 wrote:Them's called bugs, Jim. I think he has a handle on what's going on, debuggin along the way. I think I would rather go for a turbo tho, looks like it would be less work, maybe not? JP

I'll also be getting a 5 rib pulley so most of the work I'll have to do is just make the mount and mod the intake manifold a little, would be no different the stuff I'd have to do buying a turbo overal and doing it all myself. Though I'm curious to the power it will put out verses a turbo.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 pm

it wont put out as much boost as a turbo, but a supercharger the boost is near instant, since it doesnt have to wait for exhaust gas to spin it.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah the turbo corvair buggy i had there was a turbo lag till around 2k or so, then you got a kick in the ass. JP
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby BajaB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I wish I could get a corvair engine and such, but little out of my budget.

As for the amount of boost I should be making around 10PSI max on the setup, I'm not wanting much more then that as from what I've read the turbo guys run that without any major issues. I'm happy at least I'll be making more boost then the vintage judson ones, which only do like 5psi but they are meant for a 1300cc.. I also plan on running a top cylinder oiler like on the judsons just to be safe.

This makes me drool http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232848

Planning a few other things in the future too, like getting rid of the stock fan and going electric on the cooling system. Not sure though as I'll install the supercharger first and then consider the fan change. Should be interesting though being an offroad car and having a bit of a hotrod motor, as people keep trying to race my tired little dirt bug.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:24 am

neato! i think it would look better with an old style kadron airleaner.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:49 am

currently tearing down the engine for a top end rebuild and found to my surprise the motor looks to have been rebuilt in the last year or two so not super worried about the bearings for a while now.

I'm not too happy with how the heads look though and think I'll get a rebuilt set this weekend, and also get a spare intake manifold to cut up for the supercharger intake.

On a side note the hammerwrench seems to be the best tool for getting the heads off this car :lol:
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:23 pm

where you getting the heads from and how much?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:22 pm

going to be getting them from earl mann's not sure on the cost yet as I'm going out there tomorrow to see if he has any avalable. I'll let you know the cost though when I get them. I'm willing to bet it shouldnt be over 300 dollars.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 pm

I can get NEW big valve ones for 200 ea
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Ahh, well I wasnt going for big valves was going back to stock single ports. It ran me about 200 for both heads also priced a new chassis for the bug and its gonna run me 400 bucks.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby BajaB » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Got the engine redone, my first time putting one back togther so I figure I done pretty well hopefully now my bug wont be marking its spot as bad as it was as I;m sure people are tired of me recreating the valdez oil spill every time I park at work :lol:
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby BajaB » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm

finally got the wheel ordered for my EDIS setup, I'm currently in debate on turbo or supercharging as I'm looking at getting the pulley done for the bug and I'm just not happy with what I could do and the amount of space it will take up. I could install a turbo and it be extremely simple on a baja. :lol: Since I got the Dellorto carb blowthrough will be a breeze.

I'll keep things updated on which I end up doing.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:28 am

EDIS might as well go megasquirt.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm

already have a Megajolt computer assembled and sitting uninstalled with all the EDIS parts.. I just wanted a different trigger wheel as the ford one is kinda large and chunky.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Sounds like you need to check out my other site. www.vwmegasquirt.tk
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm

I got my trigger wheel here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-1-Too ... enameZWDVW

I'm fairly pleased with it, though I will need to paint it as its solid steel. It is a little hefty on the build but is only 1.5mm thick. Now comes cutting the hole to place it on my pulley and install my sensors and wire up the computer... I'm also thinking I need to build a shield to protect it from being broken.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby vdubjim » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:36 pm

there are a few members that have posted some good info on trigger mounts etc..

you dont need to be a member to look
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby BajaB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm

oh I've been reading quite a bit of good info there.

I'll probably be be reproducing the parts I make, not sure 100% yet.
Random avatar
BajaB

Postby BajaB » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:55 pm

I got megajolt installed finally, the car fired up still working on getting it tuned but was good to see it run hooked up and run.
Random avatar
BajaB

Return to Build Status

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums