Question

post questions about your car

Question

Postby Frank K » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

I have a question about front end alignment. We put on drop spindles, tie rod ends and ball joints (70 bug) and went to have it aligned and they said they can't do it and want to put the old spindles on. Why can't they do it? Did we do something wrong when we replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints. I have never had this problem before. The top of the tire is sticking out a bunch on one side and they said they can't get it in. What the heck did we do?
Thanks
Frank K

Re: Question

Postby 9 Fingers » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

You need to buy upper balljoint adjusters with more offset. Bethany Imports should have them. You might also look into camber shims to go behind the lower beam mounts. That is what I had to do to get mine aligned (p.s. for alignment I used Woody's at 39th and Counsel).
Hope this helps.
9 Fingers

Postby Joe-405 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:46 pm

I have a set of camber shims you can have if you want them.
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 pm

those adjusters have a notch, make sure it is pointing to the front. i have a digital level doing mine right now, they are just outside the limits (bentley book). do a search on samba, do it yourself, why let some dumbass work on your car. most frontend shops don't know jack about an old vw. woody will set your frontend for $75, but he can"t do 4 wheel alignment. YOU can do it Frank, don't be intimidated by a little car..... :roll:
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 pm

the adjusters that fingers elates to are something to get your money, the stock ones will more than move the wheels farther than need be, unless you have a bent beam or trailing arm.......
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby Frank K » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Ok I posted a reply and it didn't show up. I'll try to remember what I wrote. I used Woody when I lived in OKC but I have moved and now live about 5 hours from there. The problem is I live some distance from my friends house and don't get there enough and can't stay long. My job here is a 24/7 affair. And he is very impatient and takes it to folks that have no idea what they are doing. We'll get it done.
Thanks again,
Frank
Frank K

Postby vdubjim » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:12 pm

they are retarded.
Just turn the adjuster until its in, then dont take it to walmart.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 am

another thing you might check, are the trailing arms seated properly & grub screws in right? just another thought......JP
Random avatar
gimpy60

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums