Racer Dave 2009 Report

General chat that is VW related

Racer Dave 2009 Report

Postby vdubjim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 am

3-8-2009 - Thunder Valley Raceway Park

Well Spring is starting to arrive. I've been busy this past winter. I've lost 25 lbs since the last race. I had 2 transaxles rebuilt and built a new 1915cc engine for the Roadster. 69 X 94 with S/E heads, Engle FK-10 cam and Weber 48 IDA's with 10.5:1 compression running on race gas. I built this engine to run 13.00 seconds in the 1/4 mile. That is as fast as you can run in the class I race in. Rolled the race car with new engine off the trailer for preseason testing. Blasted down the track with a 12.90 @ 98.55 MPH. No tunning, no nothing. 1st pass on the engine and I hit everything dead perfect. Even cut a .009 light. 2nd pass was a 12.881 @ 100.26 MPH. 3rd pass 12.973 @ 99.57 MPH.

Stay tuned for more action because I am possessed.

two thumbs up and a big smile
David
As featured in DEC 2001 Hot VWs page 63

Saturday 3-14-2009 - TVRP

Well 1st bracket race of the season and I fell on my face. TVRP is racing 1/8th mile this year because the bracket finals will be run 1/8th mile. I think the real reason is all political. Took the Roadster with the new 1915cc engine, not really expecting it to be very consistent with only 3 passes on it. Ran too fast 1st round and broke out. Bought back in and red light 2nd round. Just plain cold, old, and rusty. Everything will work out fine now that I have a few laps on the engine. I guess I'll have to start at the bottom and work my way up to the top. Best pass was a 8.009 @ 84.00 MPH

http://www.topspeedphotography.com/gall ... HEH57-M-LB

There were 2 snowmobiles testing at the track. Go figure.
David
Edited by vwracerdave, Mar 15 2009, 12:35 PM.

vwracerdave Mar 22 2009, 12:09 PM IP: 98.162.253.9 · Post #6

Saturday 3-21-2009 - Thunder Valley

Spring is officially here. I mowed my yard a few days ago. The new engine is coming around and I did a little better this week. Made it 4 rounds to the semi-finals. Beat a Red Mustang 1st round, Beat a White Mustang 2nd round, Got the bye run 3rd round and lost to a White Camaro 4th round. The guy in the Camaro was the 2008 Division 4 champion and National runner-up. I'm not in the cellar anymore.

Everybody tells me how cool it is watching my Roadster wheelie off the starting line. Too bad I can't watch because I'm too busy driving it.

And now for something entirly different.
David

Saturday 4-4-2009 Thunder Valley

Today was just a discaboobulated day. Started out real windy which caused me to run 2/10 ths slower in time trials. On the 2nd time trial I noticed my fan belt was twisted and worn while in the staging lanes. Made a pass anyway and it held on but still messed me up mentally. 1st round the wind quit so I was at a total loss as to what to dial in. Made a wild guess and got real lucky when my opponet red light and I won. 2nd round got beat real bad on the tree with my .117 light to his .015 light. I guarentee there are a lot more excuses to loose a race then there are to win. No racing at TVRP next week so I might have to travel.

David

vwracerdave Apr 15 2009, 04:43 PM IP: 98.162.253.9 · Post #9

Friday 4-10-2009 - TVRP

Took the Blue Dunebuggy to test 'n tune to get in some practice and goof off. Running the 1835cc and too lazy to remove the muffler, so ran it in full street trim. Made 4 passes and car ran great. 15.248, 15.206, 15.224, and 15.331. Trying out the Brad Penn racing oil that everybody is talking about on the Internet. That stuff is green.

Sunday 4-19 is the Import Face Off at TVRP. Ill be ready to kick some Hundda bootie.

David

Saturday 4-18-2009 - TVRP

Took the Roadster to race. Actually had a couple VW cruisers there to cheer me on. Started to get in the groove and made it 2 rounds. Just got in and buckled up for 3rd round when it started raining. They cancelled the race and split the purse between everybody still in. Just as I got the car loaded up and was shutting the trailer door it started hailing. Had to sit inside the truck just listening to the damage. Turned out I was OK and truck made it through.

Sunday 4-19-2009 Import Face-Off - TVRP

Brought the Blue Dunebuggy to play with the front wheel drive clowns. Everything was exactly the same as last year. Total disorganized clusterfuck. Car show was lame. 150 cars and only 3-4 worth looking at. The rest were just average daily drivers. Missed the bikini contest while waiting to race. Didn't even bother going over to the stereo contest area. I guess I'm getting too old for that loud crap. Some dude smoked his tires till they blew in the burnout contest. Successfully defended my title and won my bracket class. That's 3 years in a row. Kinda funny when all the track employees were betting I would win.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good.
David

Wanted. Looking to buy a Yellow submarine to live in.

Friday 5-15-2009 - test 'n tune @ Thunder Valley

It's been almost a whole month since I've gotten to race with all the rain we've had. Really needed to practice so I took the Blue Dunebuggy for a few passes. Towed it to the track with the tow bar and left the muffler on. Made 4 passes with a best of 15.320 @ 83.43 MPH.

Saturday 5-16-2009 - Thunder Valley

Race day is finally here. Took the Roadster with the 1915cc. Car was running great and there was some pretty good air with the barometric pressure above 29". We're still racing the 1/8th mile at TVRP. 1st round I broke out by .053 seconds. Had to buy back in for the 2nd round. Lined up and launched hard front wheels in the air and seeing nothing but sky. Tossed the fan belt at the tree causing me to break out again. Rode my bicycle back up to the starting line and the track starter handed me my fan belt. That was a $11 Goodyear Gatorback belt that made me loose. Best pass of the day 7.941 @ 83.11.

Sunday 5-17-2009 - Mid America Dragway - Arkansas City, Kansas

Road trip in the Roadster. Beautiful sunshine day in the wheat fields of Kansas. Got a brand new belt for the race car and ready to run the full 1/4 mile. Brought along the Coleman camp stove and cooked up a couple chicken breasts for some great trackside sandwiches. Better then what you get at McDonald's. 10:30am and 63 degrees, I made my 1st time trial, fastest pass ever with the new 1915cc engine 12.804 @ 99.54. It felt awesome and I knew I was in for a ride. 1st round drew the odd lot buy run. 2nd round raced a Chevy pickem-up truck. 3rd was against a '62 Dodge Dart. 4th round I got by a funky black and yellow Camaro with some king of glow in the dark green stripes. Here we are the final round, me and a Blue Malibu. The tree comes down and the wheelie take me for a ride, going down the track rowing the gears. Damn Sam, I broke out again for the runner-up. 2nd place ain't so bad when they take your picture and hand you an envelope with cash. Don't forget the grilled chicken breast sandwiches I made.

I'll never understand why people drive slow.
RacerDave

Mike Ritchey May 19 2009, 04:53 PM IP: 72.198.45.47 · Post #17

April 11, 2005

vwracerdave
May 19 2009, 03:23 PM
I'll never understand why people drive slow.
Cuz they can't afford to drive fast?
Great reports, Dave!

vwracerdave May 25 2009, 09:24 PM IP: 98.168.184.80 · Post #18

5-23-2009 Saturday - Thunder Valley

Well just another ho-hum day at the track. Didn't have much Karma today. Lost 2nd round with a .009 red light.

5-24-2009 Sunday - Arkansas City, KS

Didn't have any better luck across the state line. Made it 3 rounds only to loose by breakout when I ran too fast against a girl in a Mustang.

I got to get off my lazy rearend and get my Ghia running again.

David

Saturday 5-30-2009 - Thunder Valley Raceway

Why are there more bad days then good days. Work and slave, work and slave then go to the track and get my ass kicked. Got whooped real bad 2nd round. Might need to starting drinking that fancy energy drink stuff.

Sunday 5-31-2009 - Mid America Dragway - Arkansas City, KS

It's a 2hr drive to Kansas. Plenty of time to think. Thinking is way overrated. Listened to some Metallica and mellowed out. Did pretty good in the wheat fields. 26 cars entered Sportsman, the largest number of entries so far this year. Cruised through 1st round against a Honda. Won by .939 seconds. Took another cruise 2nd round against a 60's Mustang. Won by a full 1/2 second. 3rd round raced the Mustang Dude's wife in her Black Mustang, and she went red. 4th round lost to a Mighty Mopar with more rust then a Bug. Damn close race and he got me by .051 seconds, less then 1/2 a car length.

Picture from 2 weeks ago when I was runner-up at MAD

Time to saddle up and ride off into the sunset
Racer Dave
Edited by vwracerdave, Jun 1 2009, 05:57 PM.

Mike Ritchey Jun 2 2009, 05:20 PM IP: 72.198.45.47 · Post #20

Aren't you a little big to be driving a go-kart? Just kidding but that car does look pretty small behind you! Do you race like when the green light goes on you both just try to get to the finish line first or do you race against a previously determined time or something? I think I am confused.

Dave,

Let me know when you go out and bracket race- at ARC City or TVRP. I use to have several friends that did that (bracket race) out at TVRP when the track was first built. Would like to see a VW kick some arse. What do you generally dial at with on your roadster? Congrats on getting 2nd up in MAD. Keep it up!!!!
12 million bugs- nuff said
72 std beetle

vwracerdave Jun 4 2009, 09:20 AM IP: 98.168.184.80 · Post #22

Advanced Member

Group:
Members

http://www.nhra.com/nhra101/etracing.aspx

Here is a good explanation of bracket racing.

January 9, 2005

Saturday 6-6-2009 - Thunder Valley

I WON TODAY ! ! !

Thunder Jam at Thunder Valley. Big show for the kids. 2 jet dragsters, the big jet powered Diesel truck, a wheelie poppin' "Cool Bus" and 2 air boats. Took the Blue Dunebuggy with the 1835 just to play. This was not a regular points race so I didn't want to wear out the race car. Had an awesome time and went 4 rounds to the finals and beat a Black Camaro for the win. Life is good.

Sunday 6-7-2009 - Mid America Dragway - Arkansas City, KS

Racing the Roadster in Kansas. Started out real head strong and pumped up hoping for a repeat win to have something to brag about. Car was running awesome. Made 3 time trials all within .02 seconds. Won 1st round, won 2nd round, then the world ends. Stupid computer that controls the track timing system crashed and they couldn't get it working so they had to cancel the race and split the purse between all the cars left. Oh well, crap happens.

I spent $21 at the swap meet Saturday.
RacerDave
Edited by vwracerdave, Jun 8 2009, 03:32 PM.

Saturday 6-20-2009 - Thunder Valley Raceway

Everything works. Fingers, toes, and Eskimo's. Took the Roadster to TVRP. Just hung out and didn't get to dance. Raced a new Cobra Mustang 1st round, beat a Duster 2nd round. there was a long delay to clean up an oil down. Sun set and cooled off, but the humidity picked up and I missed the weather. Lost 3rd round by .011 seconds. Hung around some more and all of a sudden a bunch of street racers started showing up. I'm talking around 11:00pm. Found out they were having "Illegal street racing". This was just bazaar. They start at the other end of the track. No timing system, no track prep, just line 'em up and race with a dude hand starting them. Then there are 2 dudes at the finish line to determine who won.

What the hell does Eskimo's have to do with it?
David

vwracerdave Jun 28 2009, 08:49 PM IP: 98.168.188.205 · Post #25

Saturday 6-28-2009 - TVRP

Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar. All that showed up stand up and hollar. Had 5 VW Cruisers show up to cheer me on. I want to thank everybody that made the cruise. Sorry that I didn't do any better. Lost 1st round to a Mustang. Bought back and made an ass out of myself. Missed 2nd gear and gave it away. Looking back in my logbook, it has been 14 months since I lost a race by missing a shift. Oh well it happens to the best of us.

Damn it was hot
David.

vwracerdave Jul 12 2009, 06:14 PM IP: 98.168.188.205 · Post #26

Saturday 7-11-2009 - Thunder Valley

Hotter then Hell. 105* on the fancy electronic weather station in the concrete pits. Roadster wasn't liking it either. Made 3 time trials and car didn't quite run right on any of them. Now I keep a log book of every run I make. Took it out and looked at what I ran the last couple races. Went to the line 1st round with a educated guess and a big smile. No matter what happens you gotta look like you are in control. Car ran crisp and clean and I broke out. Bought back and won 2nd round with a great reaction time. 3rd round I got my ass handed to me by another Bug. This ain't any old VW, this was all V-8 Chevy stuff. Engine, tranny, and rear end. What is even more bizzar about it is that it runs on propane. Gotta do the mid summer oil change and tune up this week. I am now using the Brad Penn racing oil that is supposed to be the bomb for solid lifter engines.

Hope to see everybody at the meeting Tues night. I'll drive the Buggy.

Racer Dave

Friday 7-24-2009 - Test 'n Tune @ TVRP

Decided to bring out the street legal Dunebuggy with the 1835cc and muffler. Made 5 passes at test 'n tune getting ready to race. They run full 1/4 mile at tnt. best pass was 15.09 @ 85.21 MPH

Saturday 7-25

It is a good thing my Dunebuggy doesn't have a top. Man it was hot enough to fry an egg on the track. Buggy ran pretty good but I just didn't get any luck. 101 degrees at 1st round. Had a good .031 light and lost by .016 seconds. Bought back in for 2nd round. Cut a .089 reaction time and got beat again by .067 seconds. Kinda sucks to only run 68 MPH in the 1/8th mile. I wish they would go back to full 1/4 mile racing.

Oh, you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.
David

Saturday 8-1-2009 - TVRP

Racing the Blue street legal Dunebuggy this weekend. Kinda had my head up my behind today. I normally spend some time thinking about race procedures while at work in the morning. Didn't even think about it and got to the track mentally unprepared. 1st round I was up against a Black Camaro. When we got to the finish line I looked over and he was 2 car lengths behind so I hit the brakes. Out of nowhere he came screaming by and took the stripe by .021 seconds for the win. Bought back in for 2nd round. Lined up against a White Camaro. This guy was National runner-up last year at the bracket finals in Pomona, CA. I knew I had to be perfect. Got the big red light and lost. Nothing hurts more then beating yourself.

I've noticed that with this bad economy people are asking stupid prices for VW's.
David

vwracerdave Aug 13 2009, 08:42 AM IP: 98.168.188.205 · Post #29

Advanced Member

Group:
Members

Saturday 8-8-06 - Thunder Valley

The last few weeks I have been in a funk. Just can't seem to get it together. Now it isn't that I am slow and old, because I'm only missing it by .02-.03 seconds. In the sport of drag racing you can loose in less time then it takes to blink an eye. Part of my problem is that I simply don't have my heart into this 1/8th mile racing. The tradition of drag racing is the full 1/4 mile. Raced the Blue street legal Dunebuggy. Red light 1st round with a .472 light. .500 is perfect. Bought back in for 2nd round. Cut a .015 light and broke out giving the win to the Blue Malibu.

I'll have the Roadster tuned up for the VW race at Ardmore next week. Hope to see a few of you guys out there.
Racer Dave.

vwracerdave Aug 17 2009, 07:44 PM IP: 68.97.221.114 · Post #30

Advanced Member

Group:
Members

Saturday 8-15-2009 - Ardmore Dragway

Well I loaded up the Roadster and headed to the VW Showdown. I knew the Texas Guys were good and I would have my hands full. I was outclassed from the start. The other VW's all had electronic delay boxes on their cars. I don't use any electronic aids and at a severe disadvantage. Not trying to create excuses, just stating the facts. I still enjoyed the race and gave it my best shot. Lost 1st round with a red light. Got back in line with a buy back and focused for 2nd round. Got beat real bad on the tree and couldn't come up with the win. It was 1:30am before they were done. Besides the VW's they also had the regular bracket races and the "Beat The Heat" police car challenge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday 8-16-2009 Ardmore

Camped out overnight and raced Sunday. The VW's class was only Saturday, so I had to race with the regular No-Electronics group. This was a double payout race so there was some real heavy hitters there. I'll admit I haven't done very well this year and really struggling. Raced a Nova and red light by .011. Got back in and then broke out 2nd round. I think the wind picked up causing me to run faster then my dial-in.

It's still more fun getting your ass kicked in the drivers seat then sitting in the stands watching.

Saturday 8-22-2009 - Thunder Valley

So close and yet so far. Just can't seem to catch a break. Took the Blue Dunebuggy with the 1835cc. Lined up 1st round against a primered Camaro. Tree came down and the fight was on. Crossed the line 1/2 a wheel behind. Lost by .006 on a double breakout. Got back in with a little help from the dead presidents. Drew a Mustang for 2nd round. Had a real bad .222 reaction time. Peddled and peddled that little VW as hard as I could. Dumb girl had me by 3' with 100' left before the stripe. She hit the brakes and let me skate by and I won by .005 across the line. Got a high school kid 3rd round. Really got with the program and cut a .038 light. Too close to call at the line but the win light came on in his lane. I crossed first but broke out by .022.

Damn Sam, these thousands of a second are killing me. Oh well it better then loosing by 2 car lengths.

Everybody need to listen to what I say, because I don't listen to myself
Racer Dave
vdubjim
Site Admin

Re: Racer Dave 2009 Report

Postby vwracerdave » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

Saturday 9-19-2009 - TVRP

Raced the Blue Dunebuggy. Crew cheif really was on the program. Had the car set up awesome. Made 5 runs and all 5 had 60' times within .007 esconds. You can't get any better then that.Driver on the other hand was nowhere to be found. Got lucky 1st round against a Silver mustrang and won when he broke out. 2nd round cut a bad .148 light and lost to a Blue Malibu. Did I mention that the crew cheif and the driver are the same person. Still some racing left to salvage out a bad year.

Fired up the new engine for the Ghia. 2165cc, dual 48 IDA's,Steve Tims stage II heads.

David
vwracerdave

Postby mandoclimber » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:42 pm

The Ghia.... IT IS ALIVE.... ALIVE.... ALIVE

Good to hear you have it running!!!
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Postby vwracerdave » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm

The engine is running, but it's not it in the Ghia yet.I have an engine start stand. I still have a few things to do to clean up the engine compartment, tidy up the wiring, and install new seals. Then I need to rebuild the CV's and axles. I'll try to get it done and drive it to the next meeting.
vwracerdave

Postby Mason » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

What kind of numbers are you expecting to get out of the ghia motor?
Mason

Postby vwracerdave » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:15 am

I'm hoping to run 13.90's.
vwracerdave

Postby vwracerdave » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Friday 9-25-2009 - Test 'n Tune at TVRP

Decided to practice and make a few full 1/4 mile passes with the Dunebuggy. Weather was awesome and Buggy ran fast. Best pass was 14.703 @ 87.31 MPH. 2 dumb asses crashed and hit the wall. Both were idiots that would not get out of the gas when their car got out of shape.

saturday 9-26-2009 - Thunder Valley

Well it's the last points race of the season. Raced the Blue Dunebuggy. Got brave and took off the muffler and ran the chrome stinger to scare everybody. Didn't work. Lost 1st round when I broke out. Bought back 2nd round and red light. Best pass of the night 9.26 @ 69.02 MPH. They haven't posted the final results yet but it look like I will finish 5th this year. I've had a bad year. Never was really excited about racing 1/8th mile this year but that was the tracks decision and I didn't have a choice. Track just spent $40,000 on a new sand pit and catch nets at the end of the track so maybe next year they will return back to the full 1/4 mile.

How decided that stop signs should be red?
David
vwracerdave

Postby vwracerdave » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Friday 10-16-2009 - Test 'n Tune at Thunder Valley

Took the Ghia with the new 2165cc engine. Made 4 passes just to check things out. Track was slick and green from all the rain we had this past week. I only have street tires and didn't hook up very well. The only thing I did was remove the muffler and run a stinger. Everything else was exactly how I drove it to the meeting Tues. Engine runs fine and pulls hard. With spinning the tires off the line my times wern't that great but the MPH was close to what I was expecting. Best pass was a 14.629 @ 92.97 MPH. With slicks I'm hoping to run 14.00.

David
vwracerdave

Postby vwracerdave » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:48 pm

Well looks like I'm done for the year. I did take the Blue Dunebuggy to test 'n tune last week with the 2007cc engine I used to have in the Ghia. Made a few good passes and broke a CV joint. No big deal I've got 10-12 extras in the pile. Went 14.289 @ 90.18 MPH.

Reviewing the year I didn't have that great of a season. I finished 5th in points at TVRP and 5th in points at MAD even missing 1/2 the season. I entered 25 races and made it to 3 final rounds winning 2 races. This year I built a new 1915 for the race car and a 2165 for the Ghia. Right now all 3 cars run and drive so all I'll need to do next spring is change the oil and race. The 1835 is now sitting in the garage and ready as a spare.

I'll be racing again next season so don't give up on me yet.

See, Ya
Racer Dave
vwracerdave

Postby vwracerdave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:37 pm

:D
vwracerdave

Return to Vw Discussion

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums