Rear Quarter window replacement

post questions about your car

Rear Quarter window replacement

Postby Bugophile » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 am

Good morning gearheads. I am having a problem replacing a Cal Look rear quarter window seal on my 71 Super. I had replaced it before with a mexican seal purchased from Bethany Imports, the seal face was 3/4 inch wide and although it was a easy install, it didn't look right and left a 1/4 inch area around the window that exposed the old paint. I found a seal that had a 1 inch face that was a monster to put around the glass. I put the seal on the glass during the 98 deg. weather yesterday and it still was a bear. As my son and I were installing it into the window opening, the string got caught some how and tore the seal rendering it unuseable. It did not seem to fit right on the inside. I ordered a OEM seal from CIP and hope I have better luck with it. Any Ideas on seal quality or installation tricks?
Bugophile

Re: Rear Quarter window replacement

Postby vdubjim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 am

I'll move you to the tech help section......

Make sure the string, wire, weedeater string is thick enough to not cut. I've used 14ga wire down to kite string. Just technique.where to pull and the angle.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 am

I like the wire better than the string, it slides easier. If you can find the type of wire used in hvac it is small wire with big insulation (not too stiff), if not I use 10 guage, but it it a little stiff.

I also use a spray bottle with real soapy dishsoap mix, don't hurt paint or interior.

that's all I gotta say,,,,

JP, CEO, Stella Skunkwerks, Stella, Amurika
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vwlimoguy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 pm

I spray silicone on a rag and wiPe down the seal and string to help it slide better. Pull the string in a circular motion to work the lip around corners and tight spots.
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Postby Bobs68VW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Some of the aftermarket stuff is very questionable in quality...as you found out!

I had a front hood seal from West Coast Metric that was way to large to slide into the hood seal channel...gave it to Derbug, and he couldn't use it either.

Maybe luck, but the best fitting Cal Look Window Rubber I found, is from Bugpack...Course, the last time I bought window seals was 20+ years ago...The same ones I'm gonna re-use from my Son's car.

A hint which I know you already know...If it says, "made in china" good chance it's junk and won't fit!! :o :o :o
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby robwalk45 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:21 pm

I recently installed a new windshield in my 66 bug, ordered the seal from Wolfsburg West and it seemed to be good quality. It was my first windshield install in a beetle and getting the seal on the glass and then the aluminum trim in the seal was a job. after the seal was finally on the glass with the trim installed in the seal the whole thing installed in the car pretty easy ( with a friends help). I used smooth large weed whacker line and a little silicone on a rag .
Random avatar
robwalk45

Postby Bugophile » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 am

I ended up reordering a seal from CIP and it went in in about 10 minutes. The seal is a CAL look seal and fit perfect. Thanks everyone for the good advise.
Bugophile

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums