Rebuilt long block

post questions about your car

Rebuilt long block

Postby NorskeMann82 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 pm

It's been a long while since I've been on here, so hello again. In September my poor old Vee Dub starting spewing oil like blood from a cut artery. I've been wanting to replace the engine since I bought it anyway so instead of trying to diagnose the problem I just bought a rebuilt long block. I figured that while I have the motor off I may as well replace the clutch too. Is there anything else that should be replaced while I'm at it? Anything that can/should be removed?
NorskeMann82

Re: Rebuilt long block

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 pm

input shaft seal or at least look at it and the engine compartment seal.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby derbug » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 pm

vdubjim wrote:input shaft seal or at least look at it and the engine compartment seal.

Good advice....input shaft seal cheap and quick to replace while the engine is out...
same for engine compartment big seal. Seems like these with the heat shrink and are brittle and tear
when pulling the engine. Also the front tin seal should be checked/replaced

I would also replace the clutch release bearing....pending on its age...
check for dryness and/or how smooth....also replace the o ring in the flywheel and the flywheel/case seal
after installing your pulley and flywheel to check and or set the end play. You also may want to use a
New Gland Nut.....
The rest of the seals are refreshed as your transfer your old components to the new long block.
If you are running heater boxes....now is the time to check them for fit to your exhaust....make sure
the donuts gaskets are decently snug/good fit.
Also check that your firewall tar board is still in good shape....and not coming loose....which could fall
towards the fan.

Also check your motor mounts ...and if you have axle boots....so much easier with the engine out....

Now is the time to do/check all of the maintenance that would be difficult with the engine
installed....while it is out and out of the way....also time to detail for the empty engine compartment.

have fun :D
derbug

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Oh ya, what he said :)

Who built the motor?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:45 am

I ordered one from GEX International. I've heard good things about them. I ordered a clutch kit and should be receiving it shortly. The tarboard was pulled out a while ago. It was so hard and brittle that it made the car louder than it is without it, weird, huh? Would I be able to get rid of the charcoal canister that's mounted in the right rear fender well? I know that this is all random, but I'm putting it down when it comes into my head so I don't forget it later. I still have the old engine and my core was $375. I don't want to send it back if I can get more parting it out.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:47 am

I never had a gex motor. I do know there are good and bad reviews on them. Core sure has gone up!

Here is what I noticed when searching.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... hlight=gex
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 pm

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby NorskeMann82 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:38 pm

The guy that told me about them said he got about 200,000 miles out of his. Hopefully i don't get screwed like those other guys did.
NorskeMann82

Postby Bobs68VW » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:42 pm

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby gimpy60 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Damn right, pull it apart & see what the hell they fu*ked up. Warranty, what warranty? This is an example how sh*t gets started. People parroting what they heard. Well, Bobby, have you had personal experience with GEX, or just spreading bullsh*t?

Seems there was just a rant about Bernie Bergmann going on. How many of you had dealings with this man? Do you even know what the circumstances was that brought him to Ok?

Or is it just your so damn jealous of these people that you have a vindictive attitude toward them?

I ask you Bob, and others, do you build these cars & engines. Or is it just your job to discourage some people that are trying to get into cars & a new hobby?

Randall, good luck with your car, I would like to help in any I can. I'm not too good with mechanics, but I been working on these vw cars for over 40 yrs.

JP, CEO Stella Skunkwerks, Stella Amurika ;)
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby Bobs68VW » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 pm

xxx
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby derbug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:15 pm

More customer feed back on this topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... &start=180

seems more bad experience feed back than good.....11 pages on The Samba
I really hope your GEX engine is one a good one.... :D
derbug

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:49 am

I was planning on pulling it apart and measuring everything. I was also considering running a bead of silicone between the block halves and at the cylinder bases.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 am

your going to take apart a new motor?
If your going to go that far, take it back.

Do not silicone between the case halves, use the correct stuff, there are like 3 acceptable sealants.
Cylinder bases is ok.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:12 pm

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby vdubjim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm

i would disagree on install seals dry.
I believe this is legit when the blocks are new 40 years ago......
stuffs old, new gen stands, fuel pump blocks etc are Chinese and junk. A light coat will keep stuff from weeping and making a huge mess. Danger for the engine? nahh, just to keep the dirt from sticking..... on some engines i even RTV the backs of the head washers on the inside of the valve cover to stop them from leaking.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:34 am

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby vdubjim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 am

is bob really jp?

Anyway nothing to do with my trigger, just whatever keeps it from leaking.....
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby derbug » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:10 pm

I am in accordance with Bobs68VW on sealing a VW engines
I hate RTV, it has it's use, but I still hate the messy stuff....with
a little bit of conservative pressure on the RTV tube...i can tolerate.

I agree with Jim, the head stud washer/nut needs a sealant....

I even do the same with the 6 large case washers and nuts along with
the two cam plug studs/washer/nuts...I seal underneath the washers...with
a little bit on the threads....keeps them from backing off...

I try to stay with the VW factory/school dry gasket approach as I was taught...
but I do understand the junk tolerance of the reproduced aftermarket
mating surfaces....I usually stone/true all aftermarket sealing/mating
surfaces and go "dry"
I just cannot stand a "goopy oozing" sealant appearance engine...
but also hate a :evil: "dripper"

Just my 2 cents on this subject 8-)
derbug

Postby Bobs68VW » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 pm

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby vdubjim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Jp has nothing to do with being a sarcastic asshole like you are.

JP is the name of the fellow above, feel free to read Gimpy60s post again take note of his name at the bottom. You both write in a similar fashion/manner.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 am

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 am

Throw names out lol OK.

Norskeman sorry to trash your post....let us know what you do.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Mason » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 am

And people wonder why the club sucks. Sounds like another guy building a car we'll never see but constantly hear about on here. I read your other post about the tach you have on your engine stand and I must say wtf is wrong with people that say " I'd rather throw it away than sell it". I hope you aren't complaining about origional parts prices. Go ahead make your post so you can get the last word. You win! Thanks for classing it up in here.
Mason

Postby Bobs68VW » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am

xxx
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Wed May 14, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby Mason » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am

Master chief dickhead,

Your less than stellar welcome stems from you being an arrogant dickhead. You win you know everything about vw's, are a better mechanic than all of us and spend more money than us. I have one question though when you were training with hitler on the first Vw was he for or against rtv on cylinders? This "club" is about people enjoying their cars and the forum is a place to ask for advice not to sit on your high fucking horse and expect everyone to worship you. News flash buddy this ain't the navy anymore no gives two fucks about your rank or school or training. Go ahead write some smart ass reply I need another good laugh today after that winner you wrote earlier.
Mason

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

Ha! :shock:
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:58 am

xxx
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Wed May 14, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am

Wow, a heated debate. The reason I'm going to pull apart a new engine is to make sure everything is properly put together. I've done it with every engine I've ever bought, even brand new from the factory. I have trust issues with "mechanics." The parts themselves would have cost more than buying an entire engine. Besides, I may wind up using my old case since there's nothing wrong with it. I am looking for some advise on how to get the old VW to hold its bladder and stop marking its territory everywhere it goes. Now I will freely admit that I've never been elbow deep in an aircooled flat 4 and have no practical knowledge of what I'm getting myself in to. I do, however, have enough experience to read the repair manuals (Yes, I have the Bentley and the Haynes manuals) and the know-how to do what needs to be done. Any assistance or advise that can be offered will be gladly accepted. As for flaming each other, there's a better place for that such as going to the club meetings and having the testicular fortitude to say it face to face. Honestly, nothing bugs me more than a man that can't handle a face to face confrontation. I'm tired of the false bravado that so many people expose online but they cower like a beaten puppy when confronted in person. Please, let's keep this civil.
NorskeMann82

Postby Bobs68VW » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 am

xxx
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby vdubjim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:05 pm

I would definitely not take it apart, unless your well versed with vw engines specifically.
A lot different than a 350.

Then want to use.your old.case nothing is wrong with it? Why are you so sure about it?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:47 pm

If I don't take it apart, how will I become versed in VW motors? I don't see how it can be much different than my old Goldwing with the exception that there's no radiator or water jackets and virtually no gaskets? If I get in over my head, I'll ask for help or hire someone with practical experience with the aircooled VW engines.

By the way, I'm not trying to argue. I just love to tinker and I do have a spare car. I like to know as much as possible about my cars. Oh, and I've never worked on a 350. Several 2.2 liter engines and more motorcycle engines than I can count, including opposing piston engines. I've even been up to my eyeballs in rotary and radial engines.

I just got off the phone with GEX and was informed that they have the engine fired up and it is in testing now. (What are the odds?) I will be checking the validity of their story, by running a scope in the plug hole and checking the torque on the heads. I have decided not to disassemble the engine, instead I will disassemble my core engine.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Most locals seem to have did assembled v8s and apply those principles to vw with poor results.

That's what I was going to say, def mess with the core engine!

Or if your bored come by, i have like 4 i need to take apart. lol
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 pm

When my schedule isn't so messed up, I may take you up on that. As of right now I have to train a new hire to replace the chicken that quit via text message. Oh, and my honey-do list is starting to get a little on the long side.

Top 10 Reason to Procrastinate.
1)

By the way, radial engines are a royal pain in the rear.

My engine shipped, should be here today.
NorskeMann82

Postby Mason » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:07 am

Ditto that Jim! If you get the how to hotrod Vw engines and the manual for your car you can rebuild it. Just make sure you get the compression ratio where you want it and the rocker geometry right it's pretty smooth sailing if you have the correct tools. If not I would recommend contacting Darrel who is a pro at it and will show you how to build one. Way cheaper than buying a built motor for 3k.
Mason

Postby NorskeMann82 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 am

UPDATE:
It took quite some time, but I was able to secure some shop space and access to some air tools. The old engine has been removed and all the goodies have been stripped off, the cooling tins have been cleaned (100,000 miles of road grime and oil) and the new engine has been almost completely assembled. All that's left is to mount the engine and reassemble the top half of the engine. Yes, I know I'm doing it the "hard" way, but I have big arms and can't reach the mounting bolt with the fan attached. Unfortunately with how rusty and dirty a lot of the parts were it has taken me 2 days of cleaning parts while swapping them over. I wanted to have it done last night, but I ran out of time and had to get rested for work. Fortunately I've been able to swap shifts with someone and will be able to get back to it tomorrow morning.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Glad to hear it.

Ya putting the shroud on in the car is fun. I've done it by removing decklid hinges. But way easier to put on first.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am

Need help! I'm hanging up on something. The motor will not move the last inch so i can start the bolts. If needed, text me. I'll give the number in a private message.
NorskeMann82

Postby NorskeMann82 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Turns out my friend that out the clutch together didn't use the alignment tool. Well, Dr Frankenwagen is alive.
NorskeMann82

Postby NorskeMann82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 am

Sorry, my phone won't let me edit posts. I'm on I-40 and lost all oil pressure. I have someone coming to get me. The case is full of oil. My oil light came on and the engine lost power. I shut it down to avoid damaging the new engine. I'm at a complete loss.it's it possible that was still an air pocket? I drove it about 80 miles yesterday without any issues, but on my way to work this happened. Thank God my family wasn't in the car this time. If anyone has experience with this type if problem, please text me. My phone number is 405-585-9432. I'm In dire need of assistance.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 am

Have to start looking. ......

Leaks? Oil cooler seals?

Turn over OK? Take coil wire off and crank.

Drain oil, metal?

Let me ask this......
Are you sure oil and gen lights are not swapped and really Car died, fuel/ign, and was the gen light came on? Just a simple check, seen it before.

vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 am

No leaks at all. All seals are new. Turns over slow, sounds like no oil on the cylinder walls. No wires crossed.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

Oil on cyl walls? You can hear that?

Still no oil psi?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 am

My wife is notorious for not checking her oil, so it's a familiar sound to me. Her Escape is due for a ring job.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am

Err OK. I know my engines after sitting month have little to no oil in cylinders and sound the same.

Anyways you have a list to check.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 am

Yup. I'm going to do some checking. I think I'll start with pulling the oil temp sender and seeing if there's oil there.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 am

temp sender?

If you want to check for psi, pull the sender and crank. oil should shoot out.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 am

I have an aftermarket oil temp gauge that reads from the same place as the oil pressure. The previous owner installed it.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Interesting.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobs68VW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:32 pm

x
Last edited by Bobs68VW on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
Bobs68VW

Postby NorskeMann82 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Ok. It's been a long while and I have finally given up on fixing the oil pump myself. I have come to the conclusion that GEX has no business building VW motors. I will be taking my baby to a shop to be fixed.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:27 pm

which shop?
vdubjim
Site Admin

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums