Replaced oil cooler seals. :/

General chat that is VW related

Replaced oil cooler seals. :/

Postby NorskeMann82 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm

I found that my oil cooler was leaking when I was about to leave work to come home. Yes, I topped off the oil and drove it home, it leaked a quart in 30 miles. I ordered a new set of seals from Rock Auto for 11 cents each with $8 something shipping on January 1st and received them this morning, January 4th. I started working on the car at 10:00 this morning and finished around 6:00. No, no beer breaks, only took a break long enough to eat a few slices of pizza. I decided to try the fan shroud removal procedure with the engine in the car per Rob and Dave's directions here, http://www.vw-resource.com/housing.html.Reading the directions makes it sound a whole lot easier than it really is. Reassembly was the easiest part of the job, that only took about an hour. My suggestion, if you have to do it remove the engine.
NorskeMann82

Re: Replaced oil cooler seals. :/

Postby 71sup » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I totally agree. I had to remove my engine maybe seven times and now it can be done 20 minutes. Totally easier to remove engine.
71sup

Postby vwlimoguy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I agree. Make the rear apron removable and its even easier because you dont have to jack up the car.
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll do that next. I'll be getting a rebuild kit soon. I'll be upgrading to 1680cc cylinders, I beam connecting rods, and a 69mm counterweighted crank. I don't want to do any machining, otherwise I'd go to 1915cc cylinders. Cost with shipping will be about $750.

*****EDIT*****

I just went out to have a break and found that the engine is leaking oil from the same place. Although the seals were bad when I replaced them, I fear that the case may be cracked. It's leaking from the front left side. I torqued everything down and made sure everything sealed, so this is the only conclusion I can come to. Anyone have any advise?
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 am

I would agree. Just ensure its not any of the other things.
Case studs
Pushrod tube
oil switch
fuel pump
Distributer

Otherwise time to weld case, which not many locally do.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm

I feel like a complete idiot. When I got home I crawled under the car to see if I can find the exact location of the leak and saw something running down my exhaust pipe. It was black and looked like really thin oil. I caught some in the palm of my hand and it felt really gritty so I smelled it. Turns out it was gas that was picking up a bunch of crud as it was running down. I located the fuel leak and it's the steel fuel line that runs from the firewall to the duel pump. I'll be going by Autozone to see if they have something that will work. The rubber grommet was gone, nothing left, so I'm going to fix that issue. I figure since I'm replacing the steel line I may as well replace the hoses too.

As soon as I'm able, I think I'll just replace the entire engine. I'll use the stock tins, but a new case, cylinders, etc. I may even upgrade to an alternator.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 pm

i use old fuel line for a gromet if i cant find one.

new block etc....dang big spender! :)

If you need something let me know, i get pretty good deals on stuff.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

I just want to make sure I have this right, the fuel line 5mm, per vw-resource.com, so 1/4 inch line should work, right?
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

1/4" is too "big" but works with good clamps. Its what 90% of us use.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Sounds good. Thanks.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

if your gonna change a bunch of them, take the one off the carb and give the brass nipple a good tug on it. Lots of them will pull right out, a bad thing going down the road.......BOOM.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 pm

I broke a piece off the rubber hose trying to disconnect the carb on Friday. The nipple fits nice and snug into the hose.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 pm

no.
make sure it fits nice and snug in the CARB.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:55 pm

It does, I made sure of that. It's torqued down pretty well and has some thread lock on it. I'm still trying to find a set of bushings for the throttle shaft on the original carb. I'd rather have the german carb in it than the chinese one that's currently in it.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

thread lock?

maybe this guy can help. no way in hell id pay $150 to rebush one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1362329
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 am

I've been working a lot of overtime and working on my Bug which hasn't left me much time with the big titted japanese women in Dreamland, so I'm sorry if some of the things I say don't make much sense. My carb is an EMPI 34 PICT/3 and the fuel inlet nipple screws in, so I used thread locker on it to make sure it doesn't come loose. I have 3 more gremlins to put to rest before I get to take the Dreamland Express to the Dairy Bag Emporium in Tokyo. First gremlin is making my rear right turn signal lamp stay on and the right front signal not work while the headlights are on. I'm sure I have it figured out. Second is why my reverse lights don't work. Third is trying to fix a loose distributor. I have the clamp as tight as I can get it and it will still turn without much effort.
NorskeMann82

Postby vdubjim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 am

Ahh OK! I didn't know Empi carbs screwed in.
last clamp I had did that it tightens then hits itself. Grind material off so it squishes more.
lights typically bad grounds.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby NorskeMann82 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Now that I had some rest I realize that I came off as a jerk, for that I offer my sincerest apology. The fuel line has been fixed. It idles much better, and if you can imagine, my fuel economy has increased substantially. The turn signas issue turned out to be crossed wires in the right front turn signal/marker light. The backup lights turned out to be a blown fuse in the engine bay. I didn't realize there was a fuse in there.
NorskeMann82

Return to Vw Discussion

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums