Shifter adjustment (posted by hippy freek)

post questions about your car

Shifter adjustment (posted by hippy freek)

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 am

hippy freek Apr 30 2009, 12:55 AM Post #1
hippie freek

Group:Members
Member#86
i am working on a 72 bug for a friend and am having trouble with the shifter. here is the deal so far.

i have replaced the bushing (inside the tube), that helped emencely. just changing that out took out alot of the slop in the shift patern.

i replaced what i could of the coupling (i could not replace the outer shell of the coupling because someone has welded it to the transmission shaft) let me repeat that because it may be relivent to what my problem is SOMEONE HAS WELDED THE COPULING TO THE TRANNY.

i tried to adjust the shift patern based on the info from the following web page http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html
the web page was extremely helpful and i got the adjustment as close as i could.

here is the situation now. when i shift to revers i dont have to push down and pull to the left. i basicaly have to pull it back tward me. when i shift into 1-4 it is ok but it just feels like everything has been moved over about 3" to the right. im used to driving a bus which has a larger shift feel but it just feels to me that the shift patern is still off. i know that VW shifting is wide and loose compared to japanese shifting but it should not be this hard to adjust.

my question is. could the fact that someone has welded the coupling on cause the ability to make correct shift adjustment impossible?

thanks
mike beach

hippy freek May 4 2009, 04:58 AM Post #2
hippie freek

Member#86
any ideas anyone?

vdubjim May 4 2009, 11:56 PM Post #3
Administrator

Group:Admin
Member#1
it have a shift lockout plate? or rather is it missing under the shifter?

if it is in place and everything is off that far to the right, you might be able to loosen the grub screw on the shift rod and rotate the shifter so everything works with the grub screw tight but not in its dimple.

that make sense?

once you find a happy medium, drill a new dimple.
Vintage Speedwerks
Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers

hippy freek May 7 2009, 12:39 AM Post #4
hippie freek

Member#86
hey jimbo,

yeah i would love to do that but unfortunately where they grub screw connects the coupling to the transmission has been welded and there is no grub screw there.

i was told by earl mann that maybe the shifter rod is bent and im going to look at it. and tomorrow im going to go pick the guys at bethany imports to see what they say it might be..

thanks

vdubjim May 7 2009, 02:22 AM Post #5
Administrator

Member#1
umm there is a grub screw on the car side of the tranny too. thats the one i meant to move.
Vintage Speedwerks

hippy freek May 7 2009, 12:18 PM Post #6
hippie freek

Member#86
ok i will look for it, maybe im not seeing one. i have only known of one grub screw which connects the coupling to the tranny shaft.

i know there are 2 grub screws on the busses because i have had to pull all that apart but i have only ever found 1 grub screw on the bugs.

so if you could tell me exactly where it is i would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mike

vdubjim May 7 2009, 01:27 PM Post #7
Administrator

Member#1
well guess i forgot if it was an early or late style coupler.
early has 2, late has 1.

Vintage Speedwerks

hippy freek May 7 2009, 10:33 PM Post #8
hippie freek

Member#86
ok thats good to know. if i have to work on an early bug i can use that info.

but im still in the dark about the weld and if it would cause problems if the couplling is welded to far to one side or the other.

i talked to ron and he said that since i changeed the frong bushing in the tube that i may need to look at the back bushing coming out of the tranny that apparently holds the hocky stick in its place. was told that if the hocky stick ( the shaft that is coming out of the tranny) moves up and down or sideways instead of back and forth or front to back then the bushing is shot and that can have an efect on the shifting. he said the fact that it has been welded doesnt make things good.

vdubjim May 8 2009, 09:56 PM Post #9
Administrator

Member#1
i say if its welded crooked all the alignments off.
Vintage Speedwerks

hippy freek May 9 2009, 02:29 AM Post #10
hippie freek

Member#86
i took a closer look at everything and i found that the hole for the grub screw doesnt even have any metal under it. so im thinking that the shaft is further back which means that the coupling is to far forward making the shifter to far forward as well... have adjusted the shifter all i can and its just not wanting to do second. i get it into 1st and pull it down to do second and its no where to be found. 3rd and 4th are ok... im thinking the tranny needs to be rebuilt...

vdubjim May 9 2009, 02:41 AM Post #11
Administrator

Member#1
why?
pull it out, grind off the welds and put a proper shift coupler on it?
Vintage Speedwerks

hippy freek May 17 2009, 09:37 PM Post #12
hippie freek

Member#86
i got the shifter to working ok but everything seems like its off by about 3". ohhh well just another thing they need to get fixed.
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums