Tire rubbing

post questions about your car

Tire rubbing

Postby robwalk45 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:06 pm

When I purchased my beetle the previous owner had just paid Larry's VW to install 2.5 in. lowered spindles and a lot of other work, new engine,and I don't know whats else. I have discovered that when I make hard right turn, the inside of the drivers side tire rubs the upper and lower suspension arms and the clamps on the sway bar. Every thing looks ok. I put a longer stop bolt in the drivers side to keep it from rubbing. The right side has plenty of clearance with wheels turned all the way to the left. I think something is off on the left side but I can't figure out what it is. Anyone ever run into this problem before?
Random avatar
robwalk45

Re: Tire rubbing

Postby derbug » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 pm

speculate, we will need to know, size of tires,
stock wheels, after market , off set of wheel, and so forth ??
derbug

Postby vdubjim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

its dropped spindles.......dont turn as "hard" sure its rubbing on suspension arms? that seems very difficult to do unless huge tires.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby robwalk45 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 pm

It has 165R15 tires all around. The left front tire rubs on the ends of the upper and lower torsion arms. I don't understand why the left tire rubs and the right one doesn't. Every thing looks the same on both sides of the axle assembly.
Random avatar
robwalk45

Postby robwalk45 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I forgot to mention that the tires are mounted on stock 1966 vw wheels.
Random avatar
robwalk45

Postby derbug » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Possible you can change the throw of the left wheel by the pit-man arm/drag link by adjustment
of the tie rods....shorten the left tie rod arm and lengthen the right by same
amount of adjustment(turns)...should not take much...
then center your steering wheel (may have to pull and re-center)if possible....
can't remember if the steering wheel has index groove....sort of remember it does not
(don't have a VW s-wheel handy to check) at home...have a few at my shop an hour away.
.....check your toe in before and check after adjustment to keep same....

it is also possible when replaced or when all of the front end work was performed,
the pitman arm/drag link on the steering box was not centered when attaching the
tie rods...which can be adjusted by the shorten and lengthen adjustment of

http://www.vw-resource.com/steering.html#wheel

the above talks about adjustable stops for both right and left to limit the travel....
at the steering gear box...
but one of the guys could find the adjusting stops on his application VW he was working on

there is other info Rob and Dave's Air Cooled Pages
that may help you.

The best air cooled VW front end technician I know, retired and think sold his
business....Woody's Alignment, on NW 39th st, Just a little east of Council.
He had his business listed on C-List early this fall or the end of summer.

I am sure there are some other Air Cooled VW front end tech....in the OKC area ?
derbug

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 am

Woa.
Wayyy too many words to just say those tires are too tall for drop spindles.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby derbug » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 am

vdubjim wrote:Woa.
Wayyy too many words to just say those tires are too tall for drop spindles.

You are probably correct.....for I have never messed with or had exposure to dropped spindles.....but
will be installing the 2.5" drops on my 73 turbo project....and totally rebuilding the front suspension....
But I do have knowledge on how to center all components involved.... :)
derbug

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am

def could be its not centered, but if turning right is ok, and car turns ok, and left rubs, sorry.....to me just dont turn the wheel as far lol.

Dropped spindles with 165/80 are def too tall, im surprised he is not saying they rub the headlight buckets. Typically 195/50 etc are too wide as well.
i think 175/55/15 or 155/60/15 off the smart car are darn near perfect, and you get a nice tread patch on the ground, not like a 135.
my thing i actually have 165/45. due to the thing front fenders, i needed more room.

Rob, pics are worth 1,000 words.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby derbug » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:50 am

vdubjim wrote:def could be its not centered, but if turning right is ok, and car turns ok, and left rubs, sorry.....to me just dont turn the wheel as far lol.

Dropped spindles with 165/80 are def too tall, im surprised he is not saying they rub the headlight buckets. Typically 195/50 etc are too wide as well.
i think 175/55/15 or 155/60/15 off the smart car are darn near perfect, and you get a nice tread patch on the ground, not like a 135.
my thing i actually have 165/45. due to the thing front fenders, i needed more room.

Rob, pics are worth 1,000 words.

Jim,
thanks, i will use this as a guide for when I do my front end build....I will be adding disc brakes as well
as the 2.5" drops....I saw your Thing at the "Dub the Plaza"....and it is really dropped...looks good
derbug

Postby vdubjim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 am

honestly though, its really only really dropped looking. its only dropped spindles and one spline out back.
It rides like crap on the junk autozone shocks on it, i hit both bump stops at any little bump. i ordered kyb whites for it, amazing, HALF off of CIP etc on amazon.com lol
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby robwalk45 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the input I will check the tie rod adj when I get time. Between aging parents and grand children I don't get as much time in the shop as I would like!
Random avatar
robwalk45

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums