Vacuum leaks (posted by hippy freek)

post questions about your car

Vacuum leaks (posted by hippy freek)

Postby mandoclimber » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am

hippy freek Jun 2 2009, 07:14 PM Post #1
hippie freek

Group:Members
Member#86
I have done everything I could think of to fix the problems I have had with my 71 motor. It has ran like crap for the longest time. I have changed the carb, And the distributer, And adjusted both of them countless times. All the experts told me that it could be a vacuum leak or distributor or carb or bla bla bla. So, after thinking that I would just have to run this way forever. Due to “fuel problems” and all the other nightmare things you hear about with VWs.
i finaly went out with some starting fluid and commenced to spray everything down. From the intakes to the carb to the rubber connectors. And no change, then I sprayed the hose for the brakes. Which looked like crap but I had never thought about it. Then when the motor started running different I knew something was up. I took the hose off and plugged the manifold hole and fired the truck up. It was like night and day. It started and never missed a beat. I put the hose back on and it ran like crap again.
I took the hose off and found some big cracks in it so now its off to NAPA to get some new hose and run on down the road. The whole time i just knew there was a vacuum problem and not a carb or dist problem but I didn’t listen to my gut and listened to everyone else. So check that gut feeling next time something is not right.

mike

Mike Ritchey Jun 2 2009, 11:16 PM Post #2
Permanoob

Member#51
hippy freekJun 2 2009, 07:14 PM
And no change, then I sprayed the hose for the brakes. Which looked like crap but I had never thought about it. Then when the motor started running different I knew something was up. I took the hose off and plugged the manifold hole and fired the truck up. It was like night and day. It started and never missed a beat. I put the hose back on and it ran like crap again.
I took the hose off and found some big cracks in it so now its off to NAPA to get some new hose and run on down the road.I get the moral of your story ... and it is a good one. If the voices in your head are talking to you, listen to what they say. I got that! What I don't get is what the "hose for the brakes" has to do with your vehicle running like crap?

hippy freek Jun 3 2009, 04:14 AM Post #3
hippie freek

Member#86
its a 71 truck which has vacuum assist brakes. there is a big hose going from the intake manafold to the brake booster. this way you can stop a bus without having to stand on the brakes and hope that you dont end up in the middle of the intersection by the time you stop. yes i have a 69 truck and its drum brakes all around. and yes you have to start standing on the brakes a half mile before the stop sign or you will just cruse right through it.

anyway if there are cracks in the hose then your sucking air into the manafold and the motor is pulling in more air than what it needs and you cant adjust the carb for crap. and nothing adjusts right. if i knew how to put pics on here i would put the pic of the hose on here and show you how bad it was.

so thats my story and im sticking to it.

mike

Mike Ritchey Jun 3 2009, 12:02 PM Post #4
Permanoob

Member#51
Thank you. I don't know more than I know I don't know! It's just 7 a.m. and I have already learned something new today! How far ahead am I?
Random avatar
mandoclimber

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums