Wire Resistance

post questions about your car

Wire Resistance

Postby mrdubbin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Hey found a few answers online but thought I would ask you guys since I value your opinions more than someone in the uk that works on different styles of these cars lol. I was thinking since my wiring looks a littl on the rough side of rewiring the whole car. Do I have to get a kit? Do I need to get certain sized wire? I have alot of brand new wire here from when I used to run a stereo shop in texas. So I have alot of different sized wires. I was gonna just utilize it if I could. Thanks for your opinions guys.
mrdubbin

Highscores: 3

Re: Wire Resistance

Postby gimpy60 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:41 am

If you can find a kit, would be the best bet. Next would be to get a wiring diagram for your car, they have the wire size on them, most are in mm tho. You get the bug home? JP
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby vwlimoguy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:42 am

Speaker wire and electrical wire don't interchange so well. Has more to do with the current carrying capacity and insulation meltdown temps. Not to say that I haven't run across functional electrical repairs made with speaker wire; but you'd be better off with a new wiring kit. They're all color coded and cut to length. Makes it easy so you don't forget your own color codes!
vwlimoguy

Highscores: 5

Postby vdubjim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:06 am

I would ask what is wrong with yours?
my 1950 beetle with original CLOTH covered wire works fine.

You have to be sure all connections are clean, grounds secure and clean, clean the connections on the fuse box till nice copper colored again, not black.

Just do all that and youll be good. Dont over think it.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mrdubbin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Not trying to over think it lol. Some of them just looked a little dirty and I was just gonna do it to pass some time. Had to take all the money I had set aside for fixing her (actually was gonna hook up with you jim and fix her later lol) anywho I had to spend more money on the wifey's new beetle and I'm still having trouble with it. So it looks like once again I'm on the back burner till momma's car is fixed lol.
mrdubbin

Postby Joe-405 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:42 pm

This is the cheapest i have found for a complete vw wiring kit......................ACTUALLY its very reasonable, its 350.00

An Integrated Modular Wiring System designed specifically with custom VW's in mind. 18 circuit connections fed by 16 fuses. Panel base is 5-1/2" x 3". "Cage Clamp" wire connection. High-heat wire is GM color coded and marked every 3 inches. Horn relay. Turn signal and hazard flasher circuits. Engine compartment wiring (oil pressure, water temp, starter, neutral safety switch, brake switch, ignition switch, dist. coil, main power, alternator/regulator). Wiring for ignition switch, coil, fuel pump, headlights, running lights, brake lights, directionals and license plate, dimmer switch, gauge cluster, horn, turn/hazard, radio, heater, A/C, and wipers, 3 spare battery circuits and 3 spare accessory circuits. Fuses, flasher and relays included. Detailed installation instructions. NOT included are the headlight, dimmer or ignition switches so that you may retain your original VW switches if so desired. We strongly suggest adding our replacement in dash VW Ignition Switch, below, to take maximum advantage of the accessory features of this wiring kit. Alternatives for other switch conversions can be found on this page and throughout our catalog. Call with specific questions.

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.b ... iring.html
Joe-405

Highscores: 4

Postby vdubjim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 pm

meh just clean yours.
and sell the new beetle.

If you need a mechanic thats NOTcable. call darrel he is in the shop forum.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby gimpy60 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 am

I have used rust inhibitor to clean terminals. Stuff kinda like naval jelly. On the ones I couldn't remove I used a q-tip to swab them. Others I took the lid off the bottle, filled it & soak. Cleans them up so they shine like new.
Random avatar
gimpy60

Postby mrdubbin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm

LOL Jim I wish I could but momma wouldn't be too happy about that. She loves this lil thing and I'm happy to finally have her in a vw even if it isn't aircooled lol. Yeah Imma go do some cleaning on it this evening when I get my other honey do's done. I'll just clean up the wiring and make sure the connections are good. I read that you have to reset the tcm (trans cont mod) when the battery is removed or been dead so I'll get ahold of Darrel and see if he can do that for me. Thanks again everyone.
mrdubbin

Postby vdubjim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 am

ya those new ones dont like the battery being out. he has the software for them too.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mrdubbin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Cool I'm trying to get ahold of him. Got alot of cleaning done on the square today. Don't think the master cylinder is bad cause when I took it off it was full of fluid and seemed to be working fine. I think it's more of a pedal spring problem lol. But if it is the master cylinder I'll just change it to type 1 stuff lol. Depending lol.
mrdubbin

Postby vdubjim » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 am

you will have to change your lines and rod length.
try to rebuild that one
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby mrdubbin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Yeah I am just gonna see about rebuilding this one. It looks like there really isn't that much to it. Just on piece where the rod goes in the bushing where the line from the resivoir and then the brake light switch lol. I don't think the parts should be that expensive. Hopefully.
mrdubbin

Postby vdubjim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 am

im sure autozone wont have them.
vdubjim
Site Admin

Return to Tech Help

Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buying traffic website
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums